Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Help please. Broken shift knob

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 12:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please. Broken shift ****

first of all i wanna apologize if this was asked before. I have a 01 s60 t5 automatic. I accidentally pulled off the shift **** while was trying to switch from park to drive. Now im not really sure how you put it back. i tried pushing it back in and play with the switch but it seems that it just wont latch on. Not sure if i have to take out the whole assembly or not. Pretty much i dont wanna be switching gears since im dragging the thing without the **** properly latched on. Thank you very much in advance. Name:  IMG_2275.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  86.5 KB.

Name:  IMG_2276.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  32.7 KB

Old 10-26-2009, 12:21 AM
RGT

it should just push back on, there should be black collar that comes up and clips on to the 4 plastic tabs at the bottom of the grey plastic. I don't know if it has to be in neutral but when I changed mine the instructions had me put shift it into neutral before pulling the old one off and installing the new one. You should have to push it down pretty hard to get it to lock down, maybe your had been replaced and was not set all the way down because normally to pull one off takes quite a bit of force...

Old 10-27-2009, 05:43 AM

by black collar, you mean the boot? cuz i dont have anything else to clip the thing on and tried to push the damn **** hella hard and still wont lock.. something must be wrong down there i guess hehe.. what about the metal rod inside the **** does it suppose to lock on something so when i press the **** it lifts off the thing so i could shift freely? I'll try pushing harder tom lol. Thanks for the help.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:31 AM
RGT

The metal rod going down does not lock on anything. My shifter had no rubber boot on it, there was just the chrome shaft sticking up that the shifter handle attaches to. If I look up inside the shifter handle where the metal rod goes in I can see some plastic protrusions that I believe lock into the shift rod, perhaps the ones on your are broken off, in which case you could just buy a new shifter handle. Does the boot on yours come up and attach around those 4 black plastic tabs? The collar I mentioned did not seem to do anything in terms of holding the shifter on but it does hold those tabs from spreading your boot may serve the same purpose....

Old 10-28-2009, 02:38 AM

yeah i believe that the tabs are for the boot collar. You're definitely right, i also believe that those plastic protrusions on mine are broken. I don't see em or atleast feel em from peeking on the boot. Do you happen to know some links of volvo parts website? some aftermarket as well? This is my first volvo and never thought that aftermarket parts for this car is pretty minimal. I had a lexus sc before this and im just so use to messing up with my car. As far as i know im pretty restricted when it comes to mods and playing around when it comes to these cars =( Oh well... Pretty car though.