Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Help repairing an S60 after minor accident

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help repairing an S60 after minor accident

Greetings all !!

I'm very mechanically inclined as I've been doing all the repair work on my 72 and 89 Blazer for the past 20 yrs so I know my way around vehicles and how to turn a wrench. I'm doing a little repair work on a family member's 2004 S60 2.5T after he slid off a slick road into a ditch and into some bushes while going around a curve. The trunk of a bush hit on the driver's side directly underneath one of the horns. After doing some research I managed to remove the bumper fascia and headlight assembly.

Here's the rundown on what's damaged:
Front passenger headlight (glass lens is broken and the bucket is cracked)
Both DRLs
AC condenser bent (doesn't appear to be leaking but haven't checked if it's still cold in the cabin)
Radiator (minor bend but not leaking)
Front crossmember of the frame (very minor bend)

So what I'd like to know is how do I tell what type of headlight it has? Are they halogen or xenon (I doubt they're HID)? The headlight assembly still has the OEM sticker on it if that helps. Same question for the DRLs. And where do you guys get your parts from - looking for a compromise between quality and price.

I've also been told it has steering problems and the steering wheel is not straight. I haven't driven it yet so I can't describe the symptoms any better - sorry. I'm assuming the rack and pinion will need to be replaced but that'll be farmed out to a shop, along with an alignment. I doubt the steering problem is from the minor damage on the crossmember but I could be wrong. I still need to check the runout on the wheels to check for a bent rim.

From the description of the damage is there anything else that I should check?

TIA
Jon