Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Low BeamFailure

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low BeamFailure

2008 S60, 2.5T

I have been having an intermittent low beam failure (driver side) for months. At first I thought it was a bad bulb, so I'd replace the bulb and then after a few days of working fine, it would go out again. Eventually I realized that re-seating the socket would do the trick for a bit. After reading up on it, I replaced the socket entirely. Found an after-market H11 socket with 2 wires, instead of 3, and wired the 2 right side grounds on the Volvo to the single right side ground of the new socket. That worked fine for about a week, and now the low beam is out again.

Possibly related, I have also had an intermittent Tire Pressure System Failure and/or Tire Pressure Low (a false reading related to the first, I'm sure) light come on.

So, are the two likely related? It seemed like when the low beam socket was replaced and working, the tire pressure/system lights went away, but that could have been a coincidence.

If they're not related and indicative of a larger electrical issue, what is the low beam fix if I already replaced the socket?

Old 12-13-2019, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

you may need to refer to a wiring diagram and begin buzzing out the contact points. What's in play for headlights are bulbs, sockets, wiring/ground points, CEM (low beam relays are inside the CEM), fuses, relays that provide power to the CEM, dash switch and multi-function stalk. Sounds like a loose connection or possibly a tired relay within the CEM but you'd need to check connectivity (best when the light is not working to see where the voltage stops). As a quick check you can also pop the connectors off the CEM, clean the contacts and reseat, same with any fuses or relays that are accessible.

Old 12-13-2019, 01:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the detailed response!

After posting, I tried twisting the wires together more securely and heat-wrapping them. That lasted about an hour. Then as a list ditch effort, I decided to use crimped quick-connectors. Low beam worked fine when it was all taken apart. Once I put it back in place and put everything back together, the low beam was out. So something is breaking the connection somewhere else in the chain.

I think this is beyond the scope of my skills, so I'm going to have to take it in somewhere.