Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Map update not starting

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2021, 07:16 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Map update not starting

2015.5 V60 - I have updated the maps several times with no problem but tried to get most recent update....now two issues - one solved:

1. went through usual routine per Sensus download program - clean 32G exFAT32 stick - download carried on for the usual several hours then failed - turns out the current update is a 35G file! (This is mentioned in the latest on-line instructions but not in the current D/L program) OK - found the required 64G stick - download finished - map files listed ....but...

2. Started car, insert stick - nothing....no message, acknowledgement or instructions - removed stick, reinserted - nothing....switched car off and started with stick in place - nothing.

I do not use the port for phone charging, music files etc etc. so I have no idea if there is any function at all.

Suggestions?

Old 04-25-2021, 01:44 PM
Default A little more information

It occurred to me that I could easily explore at least one of the possible causes -

"Ripped" a CD and sent the resulting MP3 files to a thumb drive - (same drive that I downloaded the update onto) plug it in, select USB in the Media menu - "relax" and enjoy some of my favorite jazz!

So.....USB port is functional

Three possibilities remain:

1. a component failure upstream of the USB port that does not interfere with the music function
2. software glitch in the Nav function
3. format change in the update download vs previous updates.

I think (1) is unlikely and (2) is questionable - with the exception of the update function, the Nav is operating normally. I'm a bit suspicious about (3) - the new download is about 3Gig larger than previous versions - more info or some other change?

I shall both visit the dealer and consult Volvo customer/tech service. I am not optimistic about either of these approaches - I suspect the dealer will tell me that they need to wave the magic Vidas wand over the car (at $100+ per pass) in which case I shall simply continue to rely on my 2 year old maps. If Volvo unwittingly did something that disrupts the function in one or two model years of cars, history suggests that they will not admit it.

We'll see

Old 04-25-2021, 08:02 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Let me start with I now nothing of the Volvo navigation system.

Any instructions in the owners manual for Navi updating? On the Volvo sites?
Anything in the Navi system to start an update? Maybe buried deep.

Perhaps let the drive sit in the USB port and drive the car to see if it will eventually load.

Old 04-26-2021, 04:32 PM
Default Plugging along.......

Well, called Volvo Customer Service - a 15-20 minute discussion can be summarized as: "Haven't the foggiest...suggest you see the dealer" OK - made a pleasant (masked) visit to my local dealer: "Never saw this before, no relevant bulletins - besides - we don't mess with the system on "older" cars - (mine is a 15.5) - a little more discussion and then - "If you figure it out, let me know"

Although, as I noted in an earlier post, this is not an urgent matter, it has shaped up as a "problem" and I do enjoy solving problems so....

I found the following on the net, newer that the instructions in the current (vintage 2019 I believe) Sensus download program:

"The map must be downloaded to an empty 64 GB USB memory stick formatted with exFAT or NTFS (if downloading the full North American map) or 32 GB memory stick (if downloading the Regional Maps) formatted with FAT32."

Now, full disclosure, - I'm operating at the crumbling edge of my
computer mechanics so if any/all of the following is just wrong, please be kind.

I know that the update file is larger than 32 Gig - a bit over 35 but, following the download program instruction, I had formatted a 64G flat drive as FAT32 - maybe something was getting cut off, written to a different partition etc.etc so 64G drive erased/reformatted as exFat and is currently downloading the update file

To be continued........

Old 04-26-2021, 09:42 PM
Default The ongoing saga.....

Well, it didn't work - same result BUT.......

Observation 1 - when I tried to check the download, that did't work either ???????

So I tried something "off-the-wall"

Per the internet, the Sensus download program will not run on Macs running the latest O/S, Catalina - but it was not clear how current that info was so I cranked up my MacBook Air (traveling computer) which runs Catalina and, low and behold, I downloaded and installed the Sensus program! It is now downloading the map update to a freshly formatted exFat drive and, incidentally, 3+ X faster than the old program on my other Mac. We'll see what happens tomorrow. My assumption is that the program I downloaded is an updated version of the 2019 program.

Throughout this process, I was reminded of a line from the film "Cool Hand Luke":......."What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Old 04-26-2021, 11:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your post inspired me to try to update my maps as well, as I just had my car into the dealership to get the Sensus system updated so I caould do this. The dealer did ask me if i wanted the maps for another A$110, which I declined as the intention was for me to do it.

Anyway i am getting the "please enter licence code" message when i put the map memory stick in, which I now understand means that the navi system hasn't been updated

Old 04-29-2021, 06:20 PM
Default Surrender

- I give up - tried everything I mentioned above and then, because several posts had suggested success by downloading the file to the HDD and then writing to the flash memory, I tried that and, in the process, confirmed that th new update will not fit on a 32GB stick. I saw one last glimmer of hope - one of the files was highlighted in red -maybe that was the problem? deleted it and tried again - nothing, nada, zilch!

My conclusion: Somewhere in updating the downloader to work on MAC Catalina (a 64 bit system) and/or generating a new update, Volvo/Sensus "broke" the system, at least for installations between mid 2015 and 2017? (when the new touch screen systems were introduced (The Volvo update instructions call for a different downloader for these later systems)

Will they fix it? Let's be real - It took a class action suit to get them to move on a major defect - in tis case, thinking about the number:

How many Sensus equipped cars did Volvo, hardly a market leader, sell between mid 2015 and 2017? I can make my point without a hard number so I'll just call it "X"

Of those X cars, how many owners routinely use the nav system - 20% would be generous > 0.2X
And how many even think about map updates? 20% > 0.04X
And suppose half have tried it (over the top, I'm sure) > 0.02X
Finally, this may well be a "Mac only" problem since the Windows and Mac D/L programs are different - Mac fraction of the market - 15% > 0.003X !

So I guess that leaves all 17 of us out in the cold with systems that can't be upgraded

Really like the car - have nothing good to say about the company

Old 04-30-2021, 09:16 AM
Default Hallelujah!

After another unproductive call to Volvo Customer Service during which I noted that a previous suggestion to visit the dealer yielded little I decided to follow their suggestion and consult a different dealership. I just got off the phone with the service dept at Koons Volvo in White Marsh MD. They had, indeed, seen a few complaints like mine and have been discussing the situation with Volvo. Apparently, Volvo is aware of some issues related to recent updates and is "working on them."

To be revisited in 6 months or sooner if information surfaces.

Old 05-22-2021, 07:28 PM
Default "Curiouser and Curiouser"

Said Alice. Okay, for the “bottom line” types, I’ll jump right to it: the update on my nav system is in process. If you are curious or like little mysteries, here is the story.

Based on the fact that I was told that Volvo was aware of the problem and several weeks had gone by, I decided to revisit the process. Not knowing if the glitch was an issue with a download program or the update file or both, I went back to square one, uninstalled the Sensus program and did a current download.

In the past, the download option has offered 3 choices based on images of the center console. This time it was simply “okay, here it is.”

I formatted my 64 Gig memory stick (I needed to go to that on my previous attempts because the file was a bit over 35 gig) inserted and called up the program which dutifully began to download the file at the previously seen glacial pace – about 6 Mbs/sec. My Internet connection is a wired one Gig fiber optic line so it is certainly not the throttle. Perhaps the server that this update is running on is a Commodore 64 in someone’s garage.

In due time the download was finished and with that came the 2nd surprise: The file size was a little bit over 16 Gig, half that of my most recent attempts.

Finally instead of the offer to “check the file” I’ve seen previously I was offered only a button that said “finish” and advised to demount the drive.

With hopes bolstered by clear evidence of changes, I started my car, plugged in the drive and, in a few seconds was rewarded with a screen asking permission to update!

Whatever Volvo broke, Volvo fixed!

Old 09-22-2021, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Pretorien
Said Alice. Okay, for the “bottom line” types, I’ll jump right to it: the update on my nav system is in process. If you are curious or like little mysteries, here is the story.

Based on the fact that I was told that Volvo was aware of the problem and several weeks had gone by, I decided to revisit the process. Not knowing if the glitch was an issue with a download program or the update file or both, I went back to square one, uninstalled the Sensus program and did a current download.

In the past, the download option has offered 3 choices based on images of the center console. This time it was simply “okay, here it is.”

I formatted my 64 Gig memory stick (I needed to go to that on my previous attempts because the file was a bit over 35 gig) inserted and called up the program which dutifully began to download the file at the previously seen glacial pace – about 6 Mbs/sec. My Internet connection is a wired one Gig fiber optic line so it is certainly not the throttle. Perhaps the server that this update is running on is a Commodore 64 in someone’s garage.

In due time the download was finished and with that came the 2nd surprise: The file size was a little bit over 16 Gig, half that of my most recent attempts.

Finally instead of the offer to “check the file” I’ve seen previously I was offered only a button that said “finish” and advised to demount the drive.

With hopes bolstered by clear evidence of changes, I started my car, plugged in the drive and, in a few seconds was rewarded with a screen asking permission to update!
Whatever Volvo broke, Volvo fixed!
- Curious how it went from there. I had my car going through the installation without any notable issues, but when it finished my car did not recognize any new maps and said Nav was unavailable and to install maps via USB. Now it won't recognize the USB anymore.

Old 09-23-2021, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Richhc2003
- Curious how it went from there. I had my car going through the installation without any notable issues, but when it finished my car did not recognize any new maps and said Nav was unavailable and to install maps via USB. Now it won't recognize the USB anymore.
What model year is your car? (Mine is a 2015.5 - I believe the half-year change was a change in the Sensus system)

Old 07-18-2023, 10:22 AM

I thought the issue was that USB3 did not work on the older navigation system. Turned out it was actually the formatting of the "partition scheme". You want to make sure it is MBR / Fdisk type. I have a Mac and for some reason I had "GUID_partition_scheme" and this was not readable. Normally you do not see the partition scheme so it is a bit tricky to find out what you have. On Mac, one can use "diskutil list" disk command in terminal. That done, both FAT32 and ExFAT seem to work as format.

Old 08-07-2023, 06:57 AM
Default I Had the same problem but....

I have had the same problem and contacted Volvo and got quite a pleasent reply and a promise of help. We shall see. However in the meantime I have realised what the problem in my case is. I have visted the logs on my Router and it shows that acess to the Volvo site has been blocked by the antivirus program that runs on my router, i guess equally it could be antivirus on your computer if you dont have it on a router. Anyway unblocking the site fixed it and it is now happily downloading