Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need advice, thrown rod!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 10:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ES6T
Yes, something is wrong with some of the engines burning oil. Updated piston rings are available and have been done outside of warranty. I haven't seen an oil pressure sensor fail to go off with lack of oil pressure (I've seen them fail the other way, saying there was no pressure when there actually was... But even that is very rare). Of course that doesn't mean yours didn't fail. I'm still curious why this wasn't goodwilled with documented oil consumptio complaints, but I'm not surprised they are not reimbursing you for the used engine.
Agreed. Once he put that used engine in, he kissed all chance of Goodwill bye bye.

For the record, I also had an oil pressure sensor fail to go off.

I did receive this update but it didn't make a difference.

RECALL Subject : Driver not Warned of Low Oil Pressure
Report Receipt Date: NOV 22, 2013
NHTSA Campaign Number: 13V592000
Component(s): ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
Potential Number of Units Affected: 30,929
Manufacturer: Volvo Cars of N.A., LLC

SUMMARY:
Volvo Cars of North America, LLC (Volvo) is recalling certain model year 2011-2012 S60 vehicles manufactured June 22, 2010, through May 14, 2012, and equipped with 5-cylinder B5254T5 (VIN code 62) engines. In the affected vehicles, the vehicle may not alert the driver of a low oil pressure situation.

CONSEQUENCE:
Without being warned of a low oil pressure situation, the driver may continue to drive the vehicle until it stalls, which increases the risk of a crash.

REMEDY:
Volvo will notify owners, and dealers will update the vehicle's software so that the driver is alerted should there be a low oil pressure situation, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin around the end of December 2013. Owners may contact Volvo at 1-800-458-1552. Volvo's number for this campaign is R29436.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:43 AM
Angry 2012 Volvo S60 Engine Fail

Hi everyone,

Newcomer here! wish I new about this forum ages ago; now I am just adding my two cents about what brought me here:

I had a similar issue and this occurred the first week in July 2017; My 2012 S60, purchased new and serviced regular at the dealer, failed after 120k service. During this service, they changed the timing belt (bringing this single service costs to $1300). The failure described to me was a failed piston bearing that resulted in the #2 piston sheering of the crankshaft. The dealer said the damage has nothing to do with the timing belt change and I should go to Volvo America for assistance. Volvo America and the Dealer are pointing the finger at each other and I am left holding the bag. I have gone as far as the VP for Customer Service at Volvo America and no luck. I cant afford an attorney but I have to take the matter further. I am so disappointed in the brand as I expected more. This is my first Volvo but I grew up with as well as researched the brand during my purchase. And now I am discovering these issues with this engine that seem to manifest after some time, wear and tear; and more importantly, Volvo and the Dealers were very much aware.

I recorded what happened on my dashcam video and added text and place it on youtube:

Suffice to say, I had to repair the car on my own at a local trusted shop; I did not feel comfortable going back to the dealer. The cost was much less than the $12K quoted by the Dealer.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:04 PM

Hey Bad,
I was shocked at the lack of assistance from Volvo and the dealer. This is obviously a problem with certain T5 engines. Prior to throwing the rod, I had complained to Volvo of America about running completely out of oil (happened a few times) and the oil light never came on. Every time I brought it to the dealer, I got the same line: "well it has oil now". Of course it has oil now, I filled in to drive it to the shop! I was told there were no leaks and now known issues with my engine! When the rod finally went, there was no help at all and my car was in the low 70k mileage range! I ended up getting a junkyard engine with 33k on it and had it installed by a private garage - they did a super job, btw and for about half of the dealer estimate. The replacement engine hasn't used a drop of oil in over 10k miles. I wish you luck getting this resolved, please keep the thread updated with your progress. However, I'm not confident you'll have much success.

Jeff