Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need help installing equalizer to backup cam

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 05:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help installing equalizer to backup cam

I could swear I found the instructions before, but I can't seem to now. Neither can I see how to fit this thing in-line with anything in the location I thought this part was supposed to go. I even looked online under the corresponding service bulletin TJ 27989. Not sure how I found the instructions a few weeks back.

This is the part:

http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/pr.../31471726.html

I thought in went in here:

Name:  KslvyBz.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  407.9 KB

But I see no way to connect it. The only connector I can see is clearly for a different module entirely.

Name:  gybB4JZ.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  248.2 KB

I swear, I saw instructions online someplace.

Last edited by marvinmartianx; 08-12-2017 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:15 PM

Ok, so I've found this which gives me some clues as to where I *might* be able to install this. I can't find the instructions that pointed to the LR trunk in the OP pic.

The only places I see in the SB diagram to attach the equalizer are either near the camera, or under the driver's seat.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...54148-7155.pdf

Old 08-12-2017, 07:51 PM

The good news is ... I found it! I'm not crazy!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7osd35qrih...LETIN.pdf?dl=0

The bad news is ... there is no connector where there is SUPPOSED TO BE ONE. I can only guess there's an error in the docs I've found or something. The doc showing the install of the complete cable harness clearly has no break / connector in it. Whereas the instructions for the equalizer show a cable harness going the same route but with a convenient connection right near the panel.

To be honest, I don't see how this equalizer can be installed in that location in my car at all. There's no way unless you can cut the video line and install those connector types. And I'm at a complete loss as to where to find those.

Last edited by marvinmartianx; 08-12-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:40 AM

In an effort to make this easier to read, I've distilled the issue down to the following.

The short story is that I purchased the in-line EQ that's supposed to fix the flickering backup camera issue. Unfortunately, it cannot be installed into my car. The connection referenced in the docs quite simply is not there.

Name:  epIKVV6.png
Views: 652
Size:  70.8 KB

Nope, not there.

Name:  Suf7D0q.png
Views: 648
Size:  237.0 KB

Not anywhere.

Name:  gybB4JZ.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  248.2 KB

Help?

Old 08-13-2017, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Weird... I've never run into that. I'll have to double check the bulletin to see if there is a VIN break or something.

Old 08-13-2017, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by ES6T
Weird... I've never run into that. I'll have to double check the bulletin to see if there is a VIN break or something.
That would be great. Although the Mitchell doc I linked suggests the harness w/ connection at the LR trunk hatch started right from the get go.

Name:  yMPGHp9.png
Views: 627
Size:  40.8 KB

So there's either an error in the knowledge base OR they replaced the harness at some point with one that does not have the connection break. Although the latter doesn't really make sense. Why would Volvo sell a harness w/o connection break?

In looking through my service logs, which are likely incomplete since they're from Carfax, I don't see a prior reference to replacing or fixing the backup cam.

This one is seriously teaching me some patience. I'm having a hell of a time getting this backup cam fixed.

Last edited by marvinmartianx; 08-13-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:30 PM

No love at the camera end. It is the same basic cable inside, but the connectors are just too different. They won't fit. Believe me I tried.

Name:  Jaay998.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  335.2 KB

Name:  Wk9cM9r.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  221.8 KB

What's even more confusion is, how is there ever a connector there? If you look up the harness as a replacement part, it clearly doesn't have the connector.

2011 Volvo S60 3.0l 6 cylinder Turbo Harness. Camera, Accessory, Electrical - 31414655 | Volvo Parts Webstore, Oak Park IL

I also removed the upper trunk lining to see if there might be a connector there. No luck. It's like the volvo parts web store image, just one long cable.

I am indeed a sad panda.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:40 PM

So I cleaned the cable and the camera connector points with contact cleaner. While I was back there, I decided to try an experiment. The plastic connector clips on the EQ video cable are removable, if you're careful. So I did. As I suspected, it is possible to connect the EQ with the "naked" cable directly to the camera. I tested it and it does work as in I do get video.

Name:  Bd62MKo.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  300.9 KB

But it's not warm enough today to trigger the glitch/problem and I didn't feel like taking off the upper trunk liner again. So I'm going to see if cleaning the contacts does anything for now. If not, I'll put the EQ in via the "naked" cable method and secure it in place with some fancy high temp engine bay tape (better than electrical tape imho) and maybe even wrap it in some silicone tape for good measure.

If that works, I think I can 3d print some clips that lend themselves to being taped or zip tied to the OEM ones securely, if it comes to that. The "naked" cable endpoints do have a collar that the plastic can go around.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I'll see what I can dig up tomorrow. What's your VIN?

Old 08-13-2017, 11:11 PM

Thanks. PM sent.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:05 PM

Turns out you can install the equalizer under the driver seat without actually removing the seat! A fellow over on the Facebook P3 group pointed me in the right direction. I had to swap the cables around, but it looks like I'm in business. Much easier than my plan to attach this thing in the trunk lid, behind the camera. I got about 1/2 way through 3d printing a custom clip for it too. Much happier with this solution.

Name:  GHTEkhp.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  118.7 KB

Name:  PQQCSPl.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  125.0 KB

Old 09-19-2018, 07:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I have a V60 Plug-in hybrid (D6 AWD), from Feb-2011, bought used and imported from Holland (I'm in Portugal).
It happens I had the same problem with the flickering rear cam, specially when in very hot days, but not allways, and sometimes happened when in garage during the night (no high temperature).
The seller man talked to me about this item, after my complaint about the issue.
But after a close look I found the same situation, continuous cable with no insertion point to connect this kit.

So, I tried a slighty different and much cheaper approach.
I just put a small ferrite around the cable, just near to the box under the seat.
For the moment, and after a month, no flickering!!

Have I found the "colombus egg" for this well know Volvo problem??

Let's see during next months...

Old 09-19-2018, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by pcorreia
Hi all,

I have a V60 Plug-in hybrid (D6 AWD), from Feb-2011, bought used and imported from Holland (I'm in Portugal).
It happens I had the same problem with the flickering rear cam, specially when in very hot days, but not allways, and sometimes happened when in garage during the night (no high temperature).
The seller man talked to me about this item, after my complaint about the issue.
But after a close look I found the same situation, continuous cable with no insertion point to connect this kit.

I just put a small ferrite around the cable, just near to the box under the seat.

Good idea. I actually had some ferrite magnets at the time I should have tried. Keep us all posted if it continues to work.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:05 AM

Hi all,

Hello pcorreia, I encounter the same problem with my D6 . Does the ferrite do the job ?
Thanks a lot,
Michel

Old 06-09-2019, 09:46 PM

Just get the CFE+ from Volvotech and be done with all that crap from Volvo

https://www.v-division.com/

Old 06-10-2019, 12:02 PM

hello
thanks for your answer but .... How does it solve the problem ?,
thanks a lot,
cordially,

Old 06-10-2019, 02:51 PM

Because all you need to do is plug the CFE+ into the OBD 2 port, connect the cam to the screen and good to go. No more screwing around with Volvo`s archaic and expensive setup, that apparently doesn`t even work very well.

Regards

Old 08-07-2019, 12:03 PM

Hi all,

Hi PCORREIA,

Your solution interests me, still no problem since the installation of the ferrite stone?

Greeting from France

Old 07-07-2021, 11:26 AM

Really appreciate this thread as the same thing complete with BSOD started happening when we were in the Carolinas last month. Its now how up here in New England to do it. Part ordered from FCP as my local dealership wasn't competent enough to take an over the phone order.

Follow up question. Does the image on the camera in normal usage improve with this equalizer? Ours has always had a poor quality image. Far worse than our Subaru's and Hondas.