Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

New acquisition maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 06:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New acquisition maintenance

Just purchased a 2002 S60 T5, lots of things IMO that needs to be taken care for before it's driven on daily basis. Thought I can use your knowledge to do no harm.
a. Transmission needs to be flushed or 100% of fluid replaced, I ordered the Mobil 3309, but I can't see using that fluid to clean out the crud from transmission. Can I use something more affordable like Mercon etc. just for the flush or it's going to damage seals even on short term contact?
b. I want to do the same with power steering fluid and since the owner manual says use ATF, will use that unless you say otherwise. 1L of that stuff from the dealer is $24 and Pentosin that I learned to trust is not much cheaper.
c. I would not say that engine was neglected at least not a lot, but I usually convert all my cars to synthetic. Garage where almost all the maintenance was done till now used 10W30 , is it safe to convert to 5W30 synthetic or I am stuck with 10W30. I really hate leaks.
d. Speaking of the leaks, there's none that I can tell but engine looks like someone's vegetable garden. Can I clean the engine somehow. Steam cleaning, chemicals, whatever it takes. I recall my old 850 did not like the streamclean, but thought maybe they got better in that respect.
Thanks for all your help,

Old 09-28-2010, 01:00 AM
RGT

When you go to change out the power steering fluid I would plan on pulling off the tank and flushing that out good, I found mine had quite a bit of stuff settled into the various nooks and crannies of the tank. I used Volvo fluid as I could not find an alternative. I did the drain and fill for my tranny, it sounds like you are set to do a flush which is definately better for replacing all the fluid but maybe before you do it it would be worth pulling the drain plug and cleaning it, mine is magnetic and there was a bit of sediment on it the first time I drained and filled it. I would caution against using anything but the correct fluid in the tranny even for your flush.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:35 AM

Hey, thanks for the headsup!
I'll try flushing the upper reservoir while in place, unless it's really easy to pull out. Lazy I guess. & I was planning on taking out the plug, still searching for a cheaper flushing alternative though. Do you guys use any additives (i can hear that can'o worms opening up) before/while/after the flushing. I know it's a sensitive topic, but I also saw some of them work almost miracles.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Default still some questions

Thanks again & still some questions are unanswered:
a. I guess I an stuck with expensive stuff for flushing, oh well... not the first time
b. I will still use the same thing for the PS since owner manual says to do it
c. This one I am still not sure, convert or not to convert, should I use AutoRX on it first. btw, the filler cap does have some caked on deposit and overall engine (whatever I can see through the filler neck) does not look as pristine as most of my other engines. Any experience on the RX used on these turbos? I was also going to seafoam it and then do the oil change.
d. the regular handheld steamer works wonders on these engine, just takes time hehe