Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

new guy with questions about the S60R

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new guy with questions about the S60R

Hey guys, my name is Ian. As you can tell by my screenname, I currently own a Stage 2 WRX Wagon. Before that I owned another Subaru. I'm a diehard Subie enthusiast, however, Ive come upon a 2004S60R for an unbeatable price. Now I'm familiar with Volvo's as I owned a '94 850 Turbo for a couple of years. I loved that car. I had it when I was in college and I ran it hard with absolutely no problems.

I love my WRX, especially since finishing up the modding process to its current state. But ever since the S60R came out, Ive loved them, and it went to the top of my list as one of the cars I would like to own. Unfortunately, they've been out of my price range, until now.

So here's some info about the car if it helps answer some of my questions:

2004, heated seats, navigation, I assume an auto tranny(the owner is an older lady), new tires, maintenance records, garaged its entire life.

So, first off, how reliable are they? Is maintenance expensive(the Subie is actually pretty cheap to maintain)? If it is an auto, any known problems with the tranny? Same question if it's a 6 speed. Just in general, bring to my attention things I should know. I am going to look at it tomorrow, and it will be a huge decision for me to sell my Subie. Sorry for the long first post. Thanks for the help guys!

Also, I wasnt sure if I should have put this in the S60 section or newbies....maybe a mod could move it if it's in the wrong place....thanks!

Old 01-21-2009, 07:30 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: new guy with questions about the S60R

welcome

Old 01-22-2009, 02:18 PM

Go for the R. Cost wise the R will be the same as other Volvo AWD models. Of course, there are some parts on the R that are cost more simply that it is a R. I have one and love it.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[sm=welcomesign.gif]

They are really nice cars. My dad has a 07 V70 R, andwe really like, and have had no problems yet.You might be disappointed with its AWD when comparing it to the WRX or an EVO. I am not saying it is terrible or anything, just that it is not as good as those two. Most of these are probably Autos, but I have seen a few Sticks for sale. The manual gearbox is suppose to be a whole second quicker than the Auto Both aftermarket and OEM partscan and will be expensive, but there are some great online stores listed in the Resource Threadwhich have fairly good pricing (Click Here).

Old 01-22-2009, 07:56 PM

The S60 R is basically FWD until slippage is detected. The weekest link is the angel gear and the clutch if manual. Both of these can getexpensive to repair, a new clutch will run over 2k at a dealer.The auto tranny was upgraded in'05 IIRC. The engine bushings can go too especailly the upper one, but that's cheap/easy. A dirty MAF can lead to a rough running car. I suggest taking off the airbox just to get a general idea of what the intake looks like. May also give an indication of general care of the car.

As with any car, make surethe maintanence has been performed by a competent dealer. There are horror stories about some.

let us know what happens, good luck...

Old 01-22-2009, 07:59 PM

BTW, if you need a copy of the maintenance schedule.....

https://www.customers.volvocars.com/...intenance.html