Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

New guy, new vehicle and lots of questions.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy, new vehicle and lots of questions.

Good morning folks, just found this site and been reading for a few days, LOTS of good info, thanks.

I just obtained a 1997 850 AWD wagon and although it is not bad shape (260+K) it does have some issues.

First, I need to drop the fuel tank, it is leaking, can these plastic tanks be repaired or do I just try and source a good used one? Is it a PITA to drop the tank? Any pit-falls?

Second, front right strut has flown the coop...... Needs to be replaced so I will do both sides, from reading I gather the best replacement struts are Bilstein TCs is this correct? If so, what is the part number?

I plan on replacing the upper spring seats as well, I have the iPD part number of 112831 is this right?

The rear suspension will be tackled at a later time.

The only other glaring issue is a "shudder" when reversing, could this be the Vicious Coupling or..????

Thanks for any help and guidance and I look forward to participating in your site. Jeremy

Attached Thumbnails New guy, new vehicle and lots of questions.-006.jpg  
Old 08-04-2013, 12:11 PM

I just had a shudder when in stopped and at low speeds while in gear (reverse/drive) and it turned out one of the spark plugs was covered with butyl tape from the spark plug socket. I doubt that's your issue, but I figured I'd give my little bit of knowledge .

My advice, check the tranny fluid. If it's not bad, just drain it and add new fluid to it (make sure they give you the proper stuff, they sent synthetic when my car needs dexos). Change your spark plugs, I bought Bosch plugs since they're the plug brand that came in the car when it was new. That's all the stuff we did to my 97 850 GLT Turbo (automatic) to get her back on the road after being in storage.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:12 PM

I do not have any advice on your questions, however rspi seems to be very knowledgable.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by BrendanL
I just had a shudder when in stopped and at low speeds while in gear (reverse/drive) and it turned out one of the spark plugs was covered with butyl tape from the spark plug socket. I doubt that's your issue, but I figured I'd give my little bit of knowledge .

My advice, check the tranny fluid. If it's not bad, just drain it and add new fluid to it (make sure they give you the proper stuff, they sent synthetic when my car needs dexos). Change your spark plugs, I bought Bosch plugs since they're the plug brand that came in the car when it was new. That's all the stuff we did to my 97 850 GLT Turbo (automatic) to get her back on the road after being in storage.
Thanks for that, mine is the 5 speed and only shudders when reversing, worse when up a slight hill....

Old 08-04-2013, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by BrendanL
I do not have any advice on your questions, however rspi seems to be very knowledgable.
Sorry, who or what is rspi?

Old 08-04-2013, 05:28 PM

Forum user.

Boxpin Edit: Forum Moderator

Last edited by boxpin; 08-04-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

You really need to find out where the leak is to determine if the tank needs replacing or not.

The tank is probably not leaking, its most likely a vent hose at the top of the tank that is cracked...very common. Not super difficult to replace.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:02 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

HERE I am. Lol

I have never owned a AWD model but it does sound like the rear drive shaft problem that many have experienced. Most people just remove the shaft and transform the car to FWD.

Usually there is a line at the fuel tank leaking and not the tank itself. If the tank is bad you should get a used one I'd imagine.

Most are satisfied with the Bilsteins and the spring seats that ipd sells are good. Get the heavy duty ones.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:30 AM

The AWD tank is a real pain to take out as you first need to unmount the rear axle which is kinda of standing in your way.
So you need to take out the propeller shaft, the rear axle and so on ...

Fuel tank from FWD will not fit.

Here are the instructions for changing the fuel tank on the AWD
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7lon1k05db...AWD%20Tank.pdf

Old 08-05-2013, 11:23 AM

Thank you for the replies gents.........

From the sounds of it, if it is the tank or one of the hoses/fittings, I still have to drop the tank either way....... just looking at it and it does seem like it will be a PITA.............good link for removal....

I replaced the complete front strut assembly yesterday with a good used one from a backyard "junk yard"......yes, I found one and removed it on a Sunday of a holiday weekend..........only cost $20...........

I am ordering the complete Bilstein front strut rebuild kit from FCP tomorrow and am looking at a change in springs and shocks for the rear.....

When and if I have to remove the drive shaft and axle to drop the gas tank I can check everything over and see if there is something obvious for the shudder in reverse......thanks again for the input.........one thing, man does this wagon have some get up and go..........

Old 08-05-2013, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by boxpin
You really need to find out where the leak is to determine if the tank needs replacing or not.

The tank is probably not leaking, its most likely a vent hose at the top of the tank that is cracked...very common. Not super difficult to replace.
If it is a vent hose what is the method of repair and how does one access it without dropping the tank? Thanks.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:36 PM

Found the fuel tank leak...........

Turns out it is the tank itself and not a vent or fitting etc........the seam that joins the two halves of the plastic tank have come apart........I have found a good used tank at a local auto wrecker but they are not open again until tomorrow so as a short term fix I cleaned off the area and applied LIBERAL amounts of Seal-All and it appears to have stopped the leak...........NOT looking forward to replacing the tank........

PS. Any Volvo parts companies based in Canada that are competitive price wise with the US companies like iPD and FCP....? Trying to cut down on shipping costs and border taxes etc....

Old 08-06-2013, 01:36 AM

The tank from the breaker is also from an AWD right? FWD are different..

Old 08-06-2013, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by scutyde
The tank from the breaker is also from an AWD right? FWD are different..

Yes it is from an AWD I realize they are different, thanks.