Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Oil Filter Housing not letting oil in after replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Filter Housing not letting oil in after replacement

Hi All,
I need your help.

car: 2012 S60 T5
what: OIL FILTER HOUSE (PCV UNIT) REPLACEMENT
info: I had an oil leak connected to a gasket in the pcv/oil filter housing unit. replaced it with much ease thanks to an excellent YouTube vid. However once I connected everything back up, the car would not start and just showed my oil symbol on the dash. I unconnected everything (twice) and made sure it was all in good order- which it was- but still no engine start. It wouldnt even begin to turn over within the engine- just a simple 'click' and nothin.
FINALLY after quite a bit of thought, opened up the filter chamber and it was perfectly clean/dry as if not a single drop of oil has entered into the until.

ANY THOUGHTS OR HELPFUL TIPS FROM ANYONE OUT THERE?

things to note:
-It is a brand new Volvo certified part, purchased just days before, and everything looked top notch externally.
-Unplugged & replugged in battery with hopes it rest any notices blocking the unit

Old 02-16-2020, 09:37 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

There would be no reason to expect that there would be oil in the oil filter housing when the engine is not cranking causing the oil pump to move and move/pump oil.

Have you tried boosting the car? May be a weak/drained battery.

Old 02-16-2020, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by ssicarman
There would be no reason to expect that there would be oil in the oil filter housing when the engine is not cranking causing the oil pump to move and move/pump oil.

Have you tried boosting the car? May be a weak/drained battery.
Thank You so very much for writing! I truly appreciate the time you took to respond.

We did think of it being the battery and tried jumping it- however nothing improved.
I wondered if the car could be thinking or sensor-ing wrong to the brain when trying to start & stopping from turning over... would you happen to know if this were a possibility of something that could happen?

Old 02-17-2020, 06:07 AM

Sounds like typical symptoms of a drained battery. The single click is usually the sound of the starter relay completing the circuit to run power to the starter motor, but if there isn't enough voltage available the starter motor cannot generate enough torque to rotate the crank.

There will be no oil circulation until the crankshaft actually rotates and drives the oil pump.

If you're positive the battery is not the problem, then check every single electrical connector in the area you were working to make sure you reconnected everything, and that you didn't break or accidentally knock loose any other wire connectors.