Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Overboost & Sparatic boost pressures

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 08:35 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Overboost & Sparatic boost pressures

Hi All,

On a trip to my friends house this weekend. My boost pressure ( at the manifold) was fine in 1st gear ( i think they limit it to 0psi anyways) and in 2-5 If i gave the car any acceleration to push past a couple lbs, the boost would skyrocket up to like 15-20 and the car gets a little stumbly. I obviously didnt hold the acceleration in fear of breaking something. When I would accelerate, the pressure would zip up to 15-20, bounce back down to 0 and sometimes back up again if I was still on the throttle. I was looking on advice on where to look for issues. When I get home today I was going to check VIDA to see if I have any non-CEL codes and I was reading online about checking if the wastegate is stuck, in my case closed. I don't have much experience here, but the internet should be able to help, as well as some dad knowledge. I was also going to check all my hoses going to the turbo to make sure nothing came loose. My TCV is less than 1 year old so I hope thats not shot, if it is its warrantied at least. Any thoughts are appreciated.

2006 volvo s60 2.5t

Old 05-03-2021, 11:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a hose or clamp indeed. A bad TCV usually just makes the car consistently underboost at high rpms (from experience since the one on my car was original and has failed and I ordered a new Pierburg unit off of FCP Euro that should be here any day now). Nothing like barely beating a Toyota Yaris at the drag strip (me last fall when the TCV first failed and I didn't know much about my car yet so didn't know what to fix).

Old 05-03-2021, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tbomb
Sounds like a hose or clamp indeed. A bad TCV usually just makes the car consistently underboost at high rpms (from experience since the one on my car was original and has failed and I ordered a new Pierburg unit off of FCP Euro that should be here any day now). Nothing like barely beating a Toyota Yaris at the drag strip (me last fall when the TCV first failed and I didn't know much about my car yet so didn't know what to fix).
Thats what I am hoping for, I havent been able to find any wastegate replacements on line for the most part, although if needed, I can get a junkyard turbo for 100-200 dollars. Just me preparing for the worst as usual lol. I did put silicone hoses coming off the TCV a few months back and I wasnt too thrilled with how strong the clamps were that came with it, I have a feeling it might be one of those in a best case scenario.

Old 05-03-2021, 12:19 PM

If the turbo fails you know, trust me. Your neighbours know it, if it happens on the road everyone around you knows it. You'd also have no boost at all, as the turbo would be dead. I'm betting wastegate, a hose loose, or a clamp. A tcv that new (if you got it from fcp euro like I did) will almost never fail, especially with silicone hoses (I checked my stock hoses and don't need silicone yet, but it'll happen eventually I'm sure). Check those clamps, and check your "over the engine" charge pipe and make sure it's tight all around. Worst case scenario it's the wastegate. Check FCP Euro's "turbocharger parts" page (linked here, I always buy from FCP Euro, their stuff is quality). https://www.fcpeuro.com/Volvo-parts/Turbocharger/ it should have anything under the sun you could need. Check the "boost pressure sensor" readings or have a good mechanic read the live data from it, it could also be problematic. Best of luck.

Old 05-03-2021, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tbomb
If the turbo fails you know, trust me. Your neighbours know it, if it happens on the road everyone around you knows it. You'd also have no boost at all, as the turbo would be dead. I'm betting wastegate, a hose loose, or a clamp. A tcv that new (if you got it from fcp euro like I did) will almost never fail, especially with silicone hoses (I checked my stock hoses and don't need silicone yet, but it'll happen eventually I'm sure). Check those clamps, and check your "over the engine" charge pipe and make sure it's tight all around. Worst case scenario it's the wastegate. Check FCP Euro's "turbocharger parts" page (linked here, I always buy from FCP Euro, their stuff is quality). https://www.fcpeuro.com/Volvo-parts/Turbocharger/ it should have anything under the sun you could need. Check the "boost pressure sensor" readings or have a good mechanic read the live data from it, it could also be problematic. Best of luck.
Only reason Id grab the used turbo was if it was significantly cheaper than any repair options. The turbo itself didn't fail for sure, but yeah my TCV is from FCP. Always gotta go w quality replacement parts. They dont have any parts for the turbo other than the CBV from volvo. Going to go for a trip around the block today to check readings after work.

Old 05-03-2021, 12:42 PM

Alright keep us posted on the readings. Best case scenario it's just the boost pressure sensor that's died. Otherwise if it was me in this situation it'd be time to check hoses and clamps to and from the turbo/intercooler. Although I'm already doing that to try to figure out why my engine is whistling/squealing from somewhere in the lower engine bay. lol

Old 05-04-2021, 06:54 PM

Lil update:
Hoses look good, Wastegate moves correctly, I ordered a new TCV since I got mine at fcp about a year ago. Toss it in and see what happens. MAP reads correctly too, also a newer sensor in the car.
0 codes related to the overboosting in VIDA
Im not sure how normal duty cycle looks on the TCV so it was hard for me to interpret those numbers.

Old 05-05-2021, 05:50 PM

new TCV fixed her right up, good as new.

Old 05-05-2021, 05:53 PM

Great! Hope it'll fix my underboosting problem too.