Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Parking gear slipping

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking gear slipping

I have my car in park but the car will roll as far as I want it too. All the other gears go into place comfortably. Yet when I put it in park I do hear a light clicking sound like it's trying to catch on something. When I turn the car off I have to put a brick behind the tires so it stops rolling back onto the street. Can I mention in the 30 minute commute to home, the car sounded louder and had to press the gas pedal harder to stay up to speed, the sound was loud like a need a new muffler. All of this happened in the matter of 30 minutes. Yikes!

Old 01-08-2015, 07:44 PM
Default Got more info?

Annette, was there a question in there? If so, tell us more about your car, model/year/mileage. What has the maintenance been on the transmission? Have you looked at the fluid lately? The level, color, and smell?

Old 01-08-2015, 08:52 PM
Default Volvo S60 2003 Moving in park!?

Originally Posted by Ru4Wheel?
Annette, was there a question in there? If so, tell us more about your car, model/year/mileage. What has the maintenance been on the transmission? Have you looked at the fluid lately? The level, color, and smell?

Hi, sorry to skip over that info. It's an all wheel drive, 2003 Volvo S60 with a mileage of 230000 KM. I've never had a problem with the transmission. The fluid is always top up and clean.

The last 30 minutes before my destination, It started to make a heavy muffler sound and had to push the accelerator harder to get what seemed into the next gear up, it would jerk me forward as I was going into 2 gear. It seems to go into reverse, and all other gears fine when I tested it but when I'm parked the car, the gear stick goes in nicely but it makes a soft clicking noise like it's trying to catch on something then stops. I will turn the car off but have to put a brick behind my tires because it will travel all the way down my street if I wanted.

Thank you for you time.