Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Pre Purchase questions for 03 S60

Old 01-14-2011, 12:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre Purchase questions for 03 S60

Hey everyone,

I posted this in the new members thread as I am a new member to the forum. This will be my first volvo and hopefully not my last.

The car I am looking at is an 03 S60 2.5T AWD. Really excited and nervous. First thing I want to ask is am I crazy to purchase an 03 with 145k miles even with a clean carfax (1 owner, maintenance upkeep?) I am getting a smoking good deal on it and if the carfax is missing something, they have a buy back guarantee on it for a year.

So first things first, I was supposed to drive it home tonight but a couple things arose. The power steering reservoir is leaking it looks like. Also the Tranny looked a little dirty, now i can say it was brown, but a redish brown i think and the last tranny flush was done at 81k miles so it is due for one very shortly. The oil also was a quart low, but i did not see any leaks anywhere. The engine had a slight tick, possibly due to the cold weather and the low oil.

I am seeing if most of the problems the dealer will be willing to take care of. I know the mileage seems high as most volvos in CO are pretty high due to driving back and forth to the mountains. I don't think I will be putting alot of mies on it as I live directly downtown and do not really drive anywhere but the mountains and possibly to the grocery store or a friends that is about a mile away.

A couple things about the way it drives. How loud is the volvo supposed to be when it is Full throttle or in the higher RPMS? The engine sounded pretty loud and I am pretty sure the car is completely stock still. Anyways, the price seems reasonable, very little body damage (a tiny on the passenger rear quarter. Interior is pristine, the top of the motor had a light yellow residue on it.

Does anything sound a miss at all and if so should I not buy it?

Thanks,

.:F

Old 01-16-2011, 09:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm...hard to say not knowing the price. I hope your smoking good deal is right, because you brought up several concerns.

I just bought an 08 S60 2.5T with 102k miles. It's my second S60. If these cars are in good shape, they drive like an absolute dream. Better, smoother, stronger, more solid than any car I've ever been in. So, if you are not feeling that way after driving this one, I'd think twice.

Brown tranny fluid, low oil, leaking fluid, etc. tells me that the previous owner did not take the best of care.

Just my 2 cents. Best of luck to you.