Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Question about Custom Ordering a Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Custom Ordering a Car

Hi all -

I am about to place a custom order for an S60 T5.

I want the cloth interior seats that come with the base T5 model (not the leather ones that come with the premium package). T5's with a cloth interior are not generally available, so my car will have to be custom ordered.

I would also really like to get the moonroof, but my dealer has said that the moonroof is only available bundled within the Premium Package (with the leather seats) The moonroof is not available as a standalone option. So, no leather seats, no moonroof [X(]

Before I go ahead and place my order, I just wanted to verify that what the dealer is telling me is correct. There is certainly no physical reason why they couldn't put the cloth seats in a car with the the moonroof. If the car has to be custom ordered anyway- why not? It sounds as though it is simply a pricing / packaging option.

Is there anyone out there that has been successful in custom ordering a Volvo with a non-standard package of options? If so, how did you go about doing it?

Thanks,

Paul

Old 11-13-2006, 01:18 AM
Default RE: Question about Custom Ordering a Car

A second question - I am also considering adding the Four-C option to the car. It costs about another $1000.

I have not been able to actually drive a car that has the 4-c on it. Is the option worth getting?

Thanks,

Paul

Old 11-16-2006, 05:42 PM

Hi Paul,

It's my feeling that if you're spending that amount on a new car, you should be able to ask for what you want.

I'd be inclinded to push the dealer a little more, perhaps even shop around.

My T5 was a custom order, took 8 weeks to get here, the dealer was quite helpful.
(although i do have the leather seats)

What ever happens, once you have it, you'll find it a huge amount of fun, and a good all round car.

Andy
'05 T5 SE

Old 11-17-2006, 11:42 AM

Andy,

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement -

I agree - I'm pushing the dealer to get the car outfitted with the options that I really want. Latest update - searching around the Volvo US website, I found the price and option list for cars available through the overseas delivery program. It turns out that on the OSD program, you can order just about any sort of options that you want, on an unbundled basis. So, for example, you can unbundle the leather seats and the moonroof (that make up the T5 premium package) on an OSD car.

Unfortunately, the dealer now saying that the unbundled options are only available if I buy the car through OSD. If I want to buy the car for delivery in the US, then I need to buy the package of options. I've told them that this makes absolutely no sense to me. If the car is configurable for the US market in a certain way through the OSD program, then why can't I buy the same car for direct dealership delivery. The only difference is that under OSD, I fly to Europe, drive the car for a few days, and then put it on the boat to the US.

The dealer has brought that point up to their district manager - still waiting for a response from that person. I guess that one option is for me to fly to Europe to get the car through OSD (although I think that the pricing will be a bit higher). The second option is to write a letter to the CEO of Ford, telling him how non-sensical their position is.

I'll let you know where things come out.

As a related aside - I found out that the Four-C suspension has been dropped as an option for the S60 T5 for the 2007 model year (it was available in 2006).

Paul

Old 11-23-2006, 10:37 AM
MK1

I have an '01 with cloth seats that I bought used. It is loaded up with everything, including heated seats...but it does lack a sunroof. I have always wondered why I have the only S60 around without one. I guess this explains it...

Old 11-23-2006, 11:31 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: MK1

I have an '01 with cloth seats that I bought used. It is loaded up with everything, including heated seats...but it does lack a sunroof. I have always wondered why I have the only S60 around without one. I guess this explains it...
I'm wondering why you have heated seats with cloth. I have never seen that before.

Old 11-25-2006, 05:42 PM
MK1

It's the only car, any make, that I have ever seen with heated seats. We bought it used, so I have no explanation.

Old 11-25-2006, 05:42 PM
MK1

I meant heated cloth seats