Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Rear collision transmission damage

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear collision transmission damage

Hey everyone,
I am wondering if the transmission can be damaged from a rear hit collision?

I drive a 2004 s60r 6 speed manual transmission..
240000 km on the engine..

I was rear ended by a van couple of weeks ago...I was parked, in 1st gear, waiting to enter a carwash. This old guy in an old a** GMC van was waiting also behind me...I'd say 8ft behind...not to sure what happened exactly, however his engine started reving hard...tires squealed and seconds after I was hit from behind. I was moved a good 1.5meters 3 ft forward. There is not much damage to the rear bumper, other then a dent. I noticed the car sounded a bit different than before. I met with a n insurance adjuster and told him about the sound change...he just marked down the rear for change and possible damage underneath..

Week after I drove over a small pot hole and at the same time there was a loud bang..snapping sound...Tractor like sound was coming from the engine...
Took the car in to a shop...the mechanic checked the transmission and while draining the transmission oil, he found metal chips along with, now, metalic looking like oil.. :-/ Now when I drive and drive over bumps the sound increases as thou the gears are loose and are jumping..

I've read that this can happen to AWD and rear wheel vehicles when in a rear-end collision...pushing the driveshaft partially forward into the rear of the transmission and causing the gears to jam and break???

Any expert opinions?

Last edited by Boz09; 03-08-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

definitely! if you were parked with the clutch out then ALL the force of that van went straight into your transmit ion. sounds to me like he broke a gear then you sealed the deal driving around.
if I'm stopped like that I always go into neutral for that exact reason.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:54 AM

Thanks for replying Nichals,
Any ideas how I should approach the dealership and have them back me as far as insurance goes?
As of now, the insurance is paying for the bumper replacement and damage underneath...no cost to me...
When I met with the appraiser guy from insurance, I did ask him about possible damage to engine/transmission...he sort of brushed it off...And just my luck...this happened...It didn't occur to me at the time to do any research...
Took the car into the volvo bodyshop two days ago..they found damage underneath the bumper...They've contacted the insurance appraiser...the guy tells me he has also mentioned the possible transmission damage to the appraiser...
I also called the agent assigned to my case and told that the appraiser didn't mark down the car to be checked at the service as one of the things to do...
She told me to wait till the bumper is replaced and to go from there after...

Last edited by Boz09; 03-10-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:02 PM

yeah you gotta wait till they are done with the body work but if it's at the dealership leve it! do not try to drive it off the lot. they will try to say something like it drove fine with he drove it off the lot. insist on leaving it until they look at the transmit ion. you might not have it for a few more weeks but depending on your policy they should give you a rental car.

but that's the big part, make a fuss about the transmit ion and let them know that you cannot drive it from the shop. also take plenty of photos of everything, the more photos and descriptions you take and write down the better.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:22 PM

I do have few photos from the day of the accident. My girlfriend was also with me in the car. She was thrown into the dash on impact. She didn't have the seatbelt on at the time.
She was hurt..neck/back sprain...paramedics and police officer showed up...helped her out. Now since the accident happened at the carwash, the officer told me he could not charge the other guy. Being that it is not on the road and does not fall into highway traffic act...
I do have the officers slip with badge number, along with the other drivers info. I'm guessing my girlfriend can be my witness.
What other photos and notes did you have in mind?
Sorry if am being annoying.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:27 PM

you said that there was some metal in the trans fluid, if you can find a way to get a photo of that it would be a big help for your case.
but i forgot that he had already drained it all so chances are slim.
however if you get any work done on the trans show up at the shop and take photos of that

Old 07-13-2012, 12:53 PM

Hey Nichals,

Im finally changing the m66 and I'm looking into changing the original clutch for a higher performance clutch. Any suggestions?

Old 07-13-2012, 09:24 PM

i know IPD has a good clutch but for high performance im at a loss lol sorry
glad to see its coming back together!