Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

S60 03/AWD Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S60 03/AWD Problems

AM Radio doesn't work.No ballgames all summer. Oh well it's only AM.
Fluttering, clicking (auctuator problem maybe but who knows) sound in pass side dash at low rpms.Brought it in about 4 times.Nobody can hear it but me.Bionic ears I guess. My whole family hears it but no technician can. I even had one guy tell me he used a stethoscope and could'nt hear anything. I guess he probably forgot to stick it in his ears.
Car doesn't want to start sometimes when it doesn't feel like it. Lights in dash on but no startee up. I get nothing. I wait a few minutes while I whistle a tune and then try it again and low and behold it starts. Cool huh!
53000 mi - no more warrantee
By the way, why do they even bother with the crap computers in these cars. None of them work right.

Any experts want to chime in.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:18 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: S60 03/AWD Problems

This post has been moved from the New Members Area. Notified the original poster.

JPN

Old 10-02-2007, 09:57 PM

I have an 04 AWD and have the same two problems. I took the car to the dealer and they fixed the AM radio reception. They add a brass strip to the antenna booster. There is a TSB for it so it's a known problem. I also have a loose sounding thing going on in the passenger side of the dash. Apparently there was a TSB for this as well. They repostioned the climate contril ontake bezel but now the sound is more frequent than before. I am not sure what to do. I can take it in again I suppose. The sound is driving me nuts because you can tell that something is loose but it is very hard to pinpoint. Any suggestions?

Old 10-24-2007, 07:16 PM

Hi,
Now that my warrantee is over I'm sure that the dealer will try charging me about $800 to fix those two things. By the way, from time to time do you get an old army boot dead fish smell out of your $40,000 car like I do? I'm sure you do too. I wonder if you can get that same old luxurious army boot dead fish smell out of a ...lets say... a$40,000 BMW or Mercedes.
I wonder what those TSB's are all about? Are those the things that should be fixed for free because of mostly the manufacturers stupid engineeringmistakes, but are not fixed for free because they are not life threatening and they made their sale, so they don't give a crap?

Old 10-25-2007, 02:04 AM

A dealer has no reason to fix your car based on those; the magic (free)word is recall not TSB.TSB= technical service bulletin that just means; hey, check this!

One at a time
AM reception, I dont know the TSB jsherner refers to but the connection for your AM anntenna is located behind the driver C-pillar, if you see corrosion between the contacts you can clean this with a standard auto solvent and a plastic wire brush. Poor reception or no reception?

Yes there are 'auctuator's'(electric motors)in your dash for your HVAC (Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning) a good way to locate and pinpoint a problem is to put your fan on lowest (but still on) position and move each dail(one byone)through all positions(with engine at operating temp.) If it makes the noise when turning a certain dial/button then that is most likely your noise.

No start but power?Could be anumber of issues. More info upon request.

Thesmell?
Well it could be that moisture build-up on your evaphas causedbacteria growth. Thats a big ($$$)job to replace.
Two things might help: 1) Have a dealer turn on your afterblow(a program that runs your blower motor after you shut the car off. It is supposed dry your evap.) However if the smell is already present this is unlikely to fix the problem (think prevention). There are aftermarket cleaners for evaps, research and try one in combo with the afterblow function. Its not hard to do for a DIY.I do not know if this will fix your problem but it is worth trying 1st.
Stuff happens try to find a shop that is willing to help, if the shop(s) you take it to dont seem willing to help try try again.Dont be mean; I understand that your mad;howevernobody you talk to built this car. A honeyvs vinegarstory.A dealer/shop is made of individuals, how did you make the individual feel?
$$ doesn't equal quality. Why did you buy a Volvo?
Are your wife and kids ok? If so then nothing else really matters, relax.
Crap computers?
Stupid is as stupid does, dude.

Hope you got all that.

Postback, happy to help.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:51 PM

Volvocars,

I would really like to ID the sound I am hearing from the dashboard. I'm not sure I understand what you are saying about putting the fan on low and turning the *****. The only ***** I have on the S60 other than the fan are the radio *****. Can you give me more detail about finding the source of the noise?

Thanks

Old 10-26-2007, 11:15 PM

Do you have controls for fan speed/temp/position?
The those are the ***** I am talking about.
I am not sure I know what your noise is. This is only my best guess.
If you have a tick-tick-ticklike noise coming from your dashthat is not constant then it may be the motors I mentioned above.
To check this do the following;
With the car running and with the temp gauge at the half mark. (The normal position)
Set your fan to the lowest position, do this to lower noise in the cabin.
The operate all the climate controls. One by one; giving the system time to respond.
If you hear a noise louder than the noise you hear when operating the other controls that may be the noise.
Note, some noise is normal.
Good Luck!

Old 10-27-2007, 12:01 PM

Thanks for the advice. The tick-tick-fluter-fluter noise is quite anoying. I'm sure it is probably an actuator. The dealer said they checked them out and seem okay but I bet that in order to "check" them or "replace" themit requires a dash disassembly that I venture to guess is very time consuming. That's why they tell me they do hear anything and that the actuators seem okay.
The nasty smell in my car only happens at times when a blower comes on momentarily.
The AM radio might get one station on a clear day.
The car doesn't want to start at times. There's juice but I have to wait to start it. I can swear that it has something to do with a security feature key chip vs inition chip?
Does that make sense to you?
Also, do you knowwhat productI should useto cleanmy leather (tan) seats without destroying the stitching? Some products will eat away the inferior stitching over time.
Oh by the way...I'm not mad...just frustrated for taking my car to the dealer about 6 times for the same thing. Also that nagging thought of buying 4 new tires for $600 soon. Thanks again.