Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

S60 Clutch replaced - now car doesn't run right

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S60 Clutch replaced - now car doesn't run right

Thanks guys for checking out my question. I will admit that I know near nothing about manual transmissions especially in Volvos (I am more into my 1950s GM cars that all have automatics) but at least that is a little more than my sister. She has a 2003 S60 and recently had to have her clutch assembly including clutch slave replaced. She told me that it was leaking fluid. For whatever it matters, it is a lease car that is being turned in next month.

When she got her car back, it didn't run right. The car is normally quiet and performs great. I don't live near her so she telephoned me and I suggested that perhaps the mechanics who did the work didn't connect something. The first time she took the car back they had forgotten to connect the MAP sensor. The second time they found a vacuum hose that was off.

She says that the car still doesn't run as good as it did before. It does idle ok but when accelerating it sounds like a high pitch "milk bottle" rattle. She checked the oil and found that it was 2 quarts low.

Questions:
1. When the mechanics were changing her clutch assy would there have been any reason for them to drain the oil that it would be 2 quarts low? She is very serious about her maintenance; she has the oil changed every 4k miles; the car doesn't leak nor does it smoke or smell like it is burning oil. How else could it be 2 qts low?
2. I mentioned that there might be another sensor that is not connected or perhaps something got damaged, knocked loose when they were working on the clutch. Any suggestions?

The shop has basically told her that she is nuts; she is paranoid and listening for every noise. I know her and if she says that it has a problem with the car; I believe her. It sounds like she may take the car into a dealer and have them take a look at it. Fortunately she paid with her credit card so if all else fails she can always dispute the charge but ultimately will need to figure out the problem and get it fixed. Appreciate your time - thanks again.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:55 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: S60 Clutch replaced - now car doesn't run right

They had to remove the Subframe to get the trans out.
They also had to remove ground wires as well.

I would make them look at it good and tell them if they don't fix it she will take it to the Dealer and dispute what they charge her to fix it.

Old 09-08-2006, 12:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well my sister took her car to a Volvo dealer and this is her response:

Turns out the steering column boot was loose and the steering column bearing was not seated properly (strangely enough, it was fine before the trans work). This in turn cause a panel or whatever soundproofs the interior of the car from engine noise to be displaced, which is why the engine sounded so different. Further, after they removed the back wheels to check the brake pads, the yoyo didn’t bother tightening the lug nuts. “3 of them on one wheel were hanging on by the last thread” per the Volvo guy…glad he happened to look at them! Not sure how many lug nuts it takes to keep a wheel on, but I really wouldn’t want to find out the hard way…especially with kids in the car. I was driving around all weekend & took my daughter and her friends to the State Fair.

Cost me $99 to get these items fixed + my time so it’s time for “let’s make a deal” with the transmission guys…

Thanks again for your help!
K

So it sounds like she is back on the road - tech, thanks again for your assistance!!

Old 09-09-2006, 11:39 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

No problem.

The Bearing they are talking about is very Common to be forgotten about.

Alot of people don't even know it is there.

Thank god they found the Loose nuts before something drastic happened.

Glad all is good now.