Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Scanner asks to turn ign is on, but it already is...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Scanner asks to turn ign on, but it already is...

CAR: 06 S60R Auto Trans

Car's Service Engine light came on today so I pulled out my scanner ( Version 4.2 ) Old yes but still works and hooked it into the car. Turned the key to the ON position and pressed the scan...

Scanner asked me to ensure that the ign was to the "on" position, which it was so I tried it again. Still same thing. Scanner works, I did the same w/ my o4 A6 S-Line and no issues at all. I know it will read it, as I've dont it before in the past with no issues.

I called O'Reilly's and asked if they had a scanner to use which they did so off I went. Got there, plugged in the Auto X-Ray Code Scout 25oox turned the key to the "on" position and it said the same thing as my scanner - please ensure that the key is in the "on" position W T F ...

There is no drive-ability issues w/ the car, no shuddering, plenty of oil, so I pulled the battery to re-set the SES. Re-started the car, took it around the block and nothing... no SES so I figured that I'd check to see if the scanner worked and no... Still asking me to put the key to the "on" position.

So, thoughts and ideas at this point are requested as Im kinda at a loss w/o the manual to chase down voltage being that is what it sounds like I have "not" going on here.

Thanks -

Last edited by mcaanda; 10-20-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:51 PM

I'd check the OBDII connectors on the car. Maybe one of the pins got pushed in or does not quite connect to whichever scanner you're plugging in.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:32 AM

nm -

Didnt think about that. I will have to take a closer look and see what I can find. Im sure that there's a fuse in there somewhere too and I think I will see if I can find if I have one that is blown.

Multimeter time - always good times.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by mcaanda
CAR: 06 S60R Auto Trans

Car's Service Engine light came on today so I pulled out my scanner ( Version 4.2 ) Old yes but still works and hooked it into the car. Turned the key to the ON position and pressed the scan...

Scanner asked me to ensure that the ign was to the "on" position, which it was so I tried it again. Still same thing. So, thoughts and ideas at this point are requested as Im kinda at a loss w/o the manual to chase down voltage being that is what it sounds like I have "not" going on here.

Thanks -
**ALL** scanners say tell you to make sure the ignition is on, if you notice it should start to read the codes, if you did not have the ignition turned on it would not be able to read the codes so the scanner displays this message so that it is able to link and read the codes for you....this is normal for a scanner to display that message!!!!

Last edited by patsfn2; 10-21-2010 at 10:43 AM. Reason: added info
Old 10-21-2010, 10:43 AM

If the ignition was not IN the ON position already I'd have to agree with you. All scanners do say this - both were saying that I needed to PUT it there, to which it already was.

The key was in, turned to the "on" position, and still it will not connect. This was with two different scanners, and any and all positions available for the key to be placed in.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:37 AM

I would then have to say that the connector for the obdII in your car has an issue, not sure how to check that but I would recommend taking it to believe it or not Meineke and ask them to diagnose your car.....they do it for free and if they encounter the same problem then they can tell you what the issue is and how much it would cost to fix or you can say no thats okay I can't afford it and at least you will know what is causing the problem....My co-worker had an issue with his volvo and I told him it was his coil packs he did not believe me I informed him to take it to Meineke and he did they diagnosed it for free and confirmed what I told him, he had coil pack 1 and 3 going bad...we bought 5 coil packs and swap them all out...so what I am getting at is, if you want to know what the problem is without the headaches take it to someone like Meineke!

Old 10-22-2010, 01:40 PM

I am not sure about your neck of the woods, but by us nobody is going to diagnose your car for free (other then yourself) If someone will agree to do it just from the goodness of their heart, let's say, they'll still need to able to connect to your on-board-diagnostics system, without a good connection they will tell you to see the dealer. I'd just remove the "plug" connector from the two screws that are holding it to the vehicle and see if any of those pins are pushed back further then the others. Do you have small children that are allowed unsupervised into the vehicles? Those little pests can do a number(s) on anything you give them

Old 10-22-2010, 07:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure where you live but for me any of the Big Auto parts stores ie AutoZone AdvancedAuto will scan car for Free.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by nmikmik
I am not sure about your neck of the woods, but by us nobody is going to diagnose your car for free (other then yourself) If someone will agree to do it just from the goodness of their heart
WOW really.....you must really live in the woods as you say, because, Meineke will in fact do this(should you have one in your area) I have had my car diagnosed at Meineke for FREE, and 2 co-workers have had it done free of charge, Meineke will also inform you of the issues that are going on with your car...why you ask???? it's called customer service and they want your business!!!!

Old 10-23-2010, 01:26 PM

Yea, I should have changed my details a loooong time ago. I live in San Diego and as we call it "paying the sunshine tax", like I said - NOBODY will do diagnostics for free here. Kragen (now O'Reilly) used to do it for free but some legislature (i am guessing paid but auto repair interests) has prohibited them from doing it. Just called Meineke - for "s*ts and giggles" asked them about cost of diagnostics - it's $20 just to pull the codes and to see what's wrong it's by hour, although applied towards repair cost - still not free.
But I think we digress a bit, would be nice to hear how mcaanda faired on his attempt to read OBDII

Old 10-23-2010, 09:01 PM

the reason you are getting this message is there is no power to your obd port. grab a test light and start checking fuses. this is a common problem on all cars- especially come test time for PA emissions. i am not sure which fuse controls it but there seems to be several that can blow out and cause this problem- but you will find a blown fuse...

Old 10-31-2010, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by titaniums6025t
the reason you are getting this message is there is no power to your obd port. grab a test light and start checking fuses. this is a common problem on all cars- especially come test time for PA emissions. i am not sure which fuse controls it but there seems to be several that can blow out and cause this problem- but you will find a blown fuse...
No blown fuses anywhere. Time to get the big book and start to shoot wires.