Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sea Foamed My Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sea Foamed My Air Intake

Tonight I seafoamed my valves and what not by using the brake booster hose closest to the air intake and pored in 1/3 a can a little bit at a time while my wife kept the rpm's at 2000. Worked pretty well but I did not get as much smoke out of the exhaust as I thought after letting it sit for 20 minutes. I assumed that with my motor having 180k on it that I would have more but I did replace the pcv oil trap box at 160k so maybe this is keeping my system cleaner.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:39 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

A lot of cars with high miles have very clean motors. Are you saying that you wanted more smoke? A big white cloud?

Old 01-08-2014, 08:34 PM

I was expecting a lot more smoke not necessarily wanting it. When only a little came out I was surprised.

Last edited by Markvolvo; 01-08-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:11 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I guess I don't understand. It's the Seafoam itself that's getting burned inside the cylinder that produces the smoke.

Clean engine, dirty engine . . . it's the Seafoam burning that produces smoke not the stuff it's cleaning from the surfaces of the intake, valves, combustion chamber or exhaust.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
I guess I don't understand. It's the Seafoam itself that's getting burned inside the cylinder that produces the smoke.

Clean engine, dirty engine . . . it's the Seafoam burning that produces smoke not the stuff it's cleaning from the surfaces of the intake, valves, combustion chamber or exhaust.
Im thinking that it is a combination of Seafoam and the carbons in the engine that smoke. I read an article stating that if there is not that much smoke then your engine is more or less clean. I could be wrong though, that's just what the write up stated.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Well . . . I guess that's possible. I've never researched it or run across that but I'm sure it's possible. The engines I've run it through smoked like crazy as I was feeding it in but only for the time the Seafoam was actually being sucked in.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:01 PM

Did you drive it or just let it sit and run. Just wondering as you are suppose to get on it some. But there is by far better products out for doing this. I can't remember the name but one of them turns into foam and really does a good job.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:10 PM

I just did the same thing today. I, however poured it directly into the gas tank. i didnt get any smoke, but i felt like i didnt hear as bad of a rumble anymore, which is good

Old 01-09-2014, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by on1wheel01
Did you drive it or just let it sit and run. Just wondering as you are suppose to get on it some. But there is by far better products out for doing this. I can't remember the name but one of them turns into foam and really does a good job.
I did drive it and that was about the only time I got some decent smoke out of it. Other than flooring it when I took off there was only a slight haze of smoke coming out.

Originally Posted by SouthernSwap
I just did the same thing today. I, however poured it directly into the gas tank. i didnt get any smoke, but i felt like i didnt hear as bad of a rumble anymore, which is good
I did this as well but it is not the same as running through your air intake. There are three ways to use a can of seafoam and all clean their respective parts from what I have read. 1/3 in your gas tank, 1/3 in your air intake, and 1/3 in your crank case soon before you change the engine oil.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:39 PM

I'll actually be waiting to put some through the crank case. im looking for the right motor oil for the car @ 175k miles, but cant choose between castrol edge or penzoil. #firstworldproblems

also, through the air intake wil require a vacuum... something i dont have... (no i really dont have a vacuum, i just dont need it)

Old 01-09-2014, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by SouthernSwap
I'll actually be waiting to put some through the crank case. im looking for the right motor oil for the car @ 175k miles, but cant choose between castrol edge or penzoil. #firstworldproblems

also, through the air intake wil require a vacuum... something i dont have... (no i really dont have a vacuum, i just dont need it)
I just did an oil change with mobile 1 full synthetic cause I can't change my oil that frequently where i currently live in an apartment so I'm hoping for a longer life span. As for the vacuum I'm pretty sure there is no need for one. Simply detach the hose that is coming from the brake booster that goes into the air intake, have someone idle the car at 2000rpms and slowly add 1\3 of a can of seafoam via a funnel attached to a tube. I used a transmission fluid funnel/tube and found a part of the brake booster hose that fit the best and slowly poored it through that way. Once 1\3 is through let it sit for a while then go for a drive but this part may be smokey so try doing it in a more private area.

Make sure to add the seafoam slow enough to not stall the motor, you don't want hydrolock and end up needing a new piston rod or a whole new engine. My seafoam went gushing in at one point but my wife kept the rpms up and it never stalled.

Last edited by Markvolvo; 01-09-2014 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:48 PM

Well right now, im just taking care of all of the minor mechanic work that arises and i can take care of myself, because the previous owner left receipts showing all of the work done, oil changes, etc, because the owner worked for the government >.>

other than that its in amazing condition for 175k miles, but i digress. im worried about minor stuff i can do so later i can do body work, and change things at later dates without hitting speed bumps...

Old 01-10-2014, 06:11 PM
Administrator

To use Seafoam it's a lot easier to just use a smaller vac hose and have one hand on the throttle as you push the hose in the can. The brake booster hose is a bit big.

The other way to do it is to buy the aerosol Seafoam product made to be injected into the intake system. You can use it ahead of the throttle body where there is no vacuum present to "pull" it in from a regular can. That way you get some cleaning action of the throttle plate itself without having to physically get in there and scrub It comes with a straw to inject it. Just loosen up a clamp on the intake tubing and slip the straw in.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Careful using it before the throttle. It can ruin the electronic throttle.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:55 AM

My god. You guys amaze me at how brave or dumb you are with your cars.

Maybe it's me, but I'd never pump this crap into my intake, gas tank (really?), or anywhere. Sheesh.

Have we not learned a thing from the Honda guys?

Old 02-12-2014, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by TacklaNHL
My god. You guys amaze me at how brave or dumb you are with your cars.

Maybe it's me, but I'd never pump this crap into my intake, gas tank (really?), or anywhere. Sheesh.

Have we not learned a thing from the Honda guys?
Have you not learned the proper way to do this? Have you not done the research? Some people do not research and dump too much in. I did not, I researched everything on hydrolocking and did it the proper way. On another note, I don't drive a Honda so why are we brining this up on a Volvo forum? I did the process of slowly putting it in, now some 1000 miles later I am having no issues.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:52 PM
Administrator

I missed something. What is it we were supposed to learn from the Honda guys ???

Old 02-12-2014, 08:57 PM
Default Gunmetal 850R

Seafoamed my old 87 760T as I was restoring it a few years ago. Purred like a kitten. The trick of course is to keep it running!

Old 02-13-2014, 03:29 PM

I actually use a can of Seafoam every 3 months or so. Car runs great and my mileage remains steady at an average of 26 mpg. Not bad for an all wheel drive car.