Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Shopping advice TL or S60 T5?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shopping advice TL or S60 T5?

Hi everybody, I'm new to the forum and I'm on the market. I want to thank everybody for your help and advice. I've been looking at Saab 93 aero (didn't like the handling), 330/325i (didn't think they were all that great and the inside felt cheap), acura TL (I like the interior but the car wasn't too thrilling to drive), and s60 T5 (I love the interior, haven't driven it yet). Basically, I narrowed my list to s60 T5 and acura TL.

I'm in between an Acura TL and an s60 T5, both new. Which one would you advice and why. In other words, what are the advantages of the T5 against the TL.

Another question, is the T5 as reliable as the TL? I'm not very familiar with the volvo maintenance so any help is appreciated.

Finally, what's the difference bw the s40 t5 and the s60 t5? Which one's quicker?

Thanks again guys!

Old 03-28-2006, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Shopping advice TL or S60 T5?

You're on a Volvo board asking whether to buy a Volvo or an Acura. What do you think we are going to say?

I am on my fifth Volvo right now and I will probably always own a Volvo. My son has a BMW 325IS, my one daughter has a Volvo S80 T6, her husband has a BMW 330I and my other daughter has an Acura CL. I have to admit there are things I like about that Acura more than all the other cars I just mentioned. Mostly it's dependability and it's cost of maintenance. But there is no way in hell it's going to run with any of these other cars I mentioned. So it's all in what you are looking for.

I am not that familiar with the S40 vs. S60 so I can't help you there. I thought the S60 was a little bigger and more expensive car, but I don't know anything about the S40. My understanding is that the S40 competes with the Accord and Camry while the S60 is more in line with the higher end cars like BMW, Lexus and Infinity.

Old 03-29-2006, 12:08 AM

The S60 T5 is somewhat quicker than the S40 T5, getting to 60 in 6.3 seconds vs. 6.8 or thereabouts for the S40.

I own a 2004 S60 2.5T and like it (of course). I think the engine has plenty of power and I like the turbo.

If you take away the subjective points: styling, what have you; I think the turbo is one big difference between the Acura and the Volvo. You either like the sound and torque of a turbo, or you don't.

I pulled up the specs on the TL to see why you might have thought it was uninspiring to drive. I remembered the TL hp was roughly similar to the S60 T5 (~ 260 hp). The TL being naturally aspirated has 233 lb/ft of torque, compared to the T5s 257 lb/ft.

If you drive the T5 I think you'll notice the extra torque pulling you back in your seat (especially if you try passing maneuvers).

The other thing I noticed about the TL is that it's 9" longer than an S60. I didn't check the wheelbase, but the added length would factor in to its driving experience. On the other hand, the TL is a couple hundred pounds lighter, which would be a plus in its column.

You didn't mention physical size being an important factor. If size isn't a big factor I'd test drive an S40 T5 just to see how you like it. It should have better handling and steering and only be a bit slower than the S60 T5. I think the styling of the S60 is more upscale than the S40, BUT the floating center console in the S40 is something to be seen -- it's quite modern. I haven't driven an S40, but want to some day.

If you like music the premium sound system (optional?) on the T5 is awesome. 13 or 14 speakers, great sound quality in my opinion. I have it in my car. I added a USA-SPEC PA11-VOL ipod adapter to complete the system and am very happy.

Re: Reliability, I think that's a tough nut to crack. Acura is known for reliability. My car has 44k miles on it with no major problems. It's been to the dealership for a few minor things mainly due to trying to minimize vibration. They've adjusted engine mounts and replaced a bushing. I came to the conclusion that the engine simply vibrates more at idle because it's a 5 cylinder and have just accepted it. I guess in that sense it has had no actual problems.

Good luck in your decision making!

Old 03-29-2006, 01:02 PM

In my opinion, in all categories the T5 should blow the doors off of the Acura TL in any areas of performance. Just that with a Volvo keep a 1000$ aside a year to maitain it... I think basically your comparing a Pitbull(volvo) to a lightweight chihuahua(acura) but its maintaince free. All you will need to do is the oil changes, thats what I hear atleast.