Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Software update to allow USB map updates bricked my car!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

No, that are not. Its the right thing to do, obviously. But the car is out of warranty.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ES6T
They replaced the camera? There is a bulletin for an equalizer that gets installed for a flickering camera. I've installed many and never had one where that didn't fix it.
Yes, they replaced the camera. I'll take a picture of the receipt tomorrow and post it. I told them it wasn't the camera as well. I thought it was more likely the harness based on what I had read.

Looks like they didn't listen to me or Volvo.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

Nothing I can say to defend that. That bulletin has been around for a while now. They should have known better.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

In case you need it, the bulletin is TJ 27989 and the part number is 31471726

Old 07-28-2017, 10:27 AM

Thanks, I'll be telling the indie shop I bring it to next about the bulletin. As promised, here is the receipt snippet. Also, that "complimentary wheel alignment check" they did totally scarred my rims with some kind of impossible-to-remove black marks. Like I said, in more than 30 years of driving and owning cars I have NEVER dealt with a shop as bad as Don Beyer Volvo in Falls Church, VA.

Name:  WUAPamH.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  93.9 KB

Old 07-28-2017, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not certain, but the alignment check might just be something the car drives over. Hunter makes a device that supposedly can tell if the alignment is off by just driving over it. The theory is it will help sell wheel alignments for the shop. I very much doubt they have their technicians put the car on an alignment machine, install the heads and calibrate for free. No tech is going to do that without being paid.

That, or the complimentary alignment check is just a road test to see if it pulls.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:39 PM

Here's the camera in action. I made this video to document their failure to solve the problem.

Combine this with their not following the service bulletin (they replaced the camera vs. installing an equalizer) as well as charging the warranty company an extra $35 for a complimentary loaner ... and you have one seriously effed up service dept.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Thats a bit different than the problem in the bulletin. In all cases I have seen where the equalizer was needed, the camera would work and then occasionally flicker the image. I haven't run into one where it acted like yours. Either way, very clearly not fixed.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:43 PM

Mine does the flicker too, but only when it's cool out. When I brought the car in I showed them videos similar to the one I posted here as well as ones that just flicker. But I think it's pretty clear this shop does absolutely no "problem solving" type thinking at all. I'm not even sure they do much "thinking" for that matter.

When the temps are in the 80s and above it will act as above. When it's a bit cooler, it flickers and glitches. When it's very cool, like at night, it seems to work ok.

Since it's summer here in the US, I normally get the 100% "not working" behavior seen in the video.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by ES6T
In case you need it, the bulletin is TJ 27989 and the part number is 31471726
Just out of curiosity, where does that equalizer get installed?

I may just order it myself and put it in, assuming I don't have to remove too many other parts to get it into the proper location.

Then after replacing the camera and adding the equalizer, if things still don't work, the harness would be the remaining part to replace imho.

EDIT: Never mind. I found a document that explains where it goes, behind the left rear trunk panel, accessed from inside the trunk. For $140 it's worth it for me to do it myself. My warranty has a $250 deductible, so I'd probably end up paying that if I took it somewhere.

Last edited by marvinmartianx; 08-01-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Yep, very easy to replace. Definitely worth a shot since you do have the symptom at least sometimes.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:31 PM

Ok, so I don't know where that document with the instructions went. I could swear I had found it online but can't for the life of me find it. Where does that equalizer go? I don't see a spot inside the left rear trunk panel. Based on a SB diagram I just read my hunch is that it either goes inside the trunk lid or under the driver's seat.

Where does it go?

Old 05-14-2022, 01:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Another brick here in Luxembourg

Hi guys,
marvinmartianx has now the confirmation that he is not alone. i´ve a VOLVO V60 - with the SENSUS from 2011 (the one without the globe) - for a MAP update via USB a Software update to IAM 2.1. is necessary. this sounds easy....BUT.....
Exactly the same thing happened to me yesterday. I wanted this update - downloaded the maps - the USB stick was recognized - but the car asked for a license code. Called the dealer - dealer said "NO" no license code anymore - we do the IAM 2.1.
OK --- yesterday after 1.5 hours waiting the tech came to me with the news that the car has been bricked....i went with him to the workshop .. he showed my everyhing.. (i´m an electronician /IT guy so i could follow his words) he tried to re initialize the IAM but it failed at 60%....at the latest at segment 3. interestingly enough this seems to be a problem KNOWN by VOLVO . Volvo has launched a technical bulletin explaining what to do in this case - 1. if normal installation fails do this , if it still fails contingue step 2 at the end they write in the the bulletin to bypass the SAS system (a bit comparable to a bootloader of an android phone - or a kind of Apple Iphone Jailbreak) and install the "MOST-DATA" 88Mb... but if this fails...then .... so i´ve the brick now. The camera is not working, no clock, no park assist, no radio. no temp indicator for the air cond. (feeling put back in the 60s) the Tech sent now a report to VOLVO Belgium. We should have an answer Monday or Tuesday. either they send some recovery software with allows a reprogramming or they install a new Module. This costs 650 EUR. i explained them that i´m not willing to pay for a new module - it´s for sure not the techs fault - he did exactly what was written in the Bulletin - but the technical documentation of VOLVO is useless. I hope i can find an agreement with the workshop otherwise i´ve even to take the them to court....i know better things to waste my valuable lifetime. iĺl keep you posted. Regards from Luxembourg. Frederic

Old 05-23-2022, 03:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by marvinmartianx
I was worried things were headed down this road. Sadly, I'm here.

Brought my car in to the dealer yesterday morning at around 9am (Don Beyer Volvo in Falls Church, VA). I told them I wanted the software update to allow USB based map database updates. Seemed pretty straightforward enough. I knew going in that they were over charging me ($185) but I figured that's the price of doing business in Northern VA.

Well, I didn't hear back from them on the issue all day (8hrs). So at 5pm I gave them a call. They told me the software wasn't loading (stopping at around 65%) and that they were waiting for Volvo to get back to them. This raised some yellow flags with me. So I asked very directly, "Did the update brick the car? Because I'd like to come get it tomorrow if you're not able to do this." I was told that the update DID NOT damage the car's systems in any way and that it was as if nothing had happened.

This afternoon, I received a call from them telling me the car had in fact been bricked yesterday and that now they needed to order an entire new module which may not be in until Monday.

Apparently they at least have been in touch with Volvo, just at a very slow rate. Based on what the Volvo rep told me earlier today, their first contact with Volvo was at 1:30pm on Thurs. They received a reply by 1:45pm. Their next contact with Volvo was at 5:45pm on Thursday. So they burned the entire morning doing nothing, then another four hours in the afternoon. Today it seems as though there have been many back and forth discussions between Volvo and the shop.

I feel this entire situation could have been avoided if the shop had gotten on the ball Thursday morning. They would likely have the part now and I'd have my car back.

This is beyond frustrating. I called Volvo at the number listed here:

Volvo Car USA Support | Contact us | Help

They don't seem to be of much help, simply re-stating that the dealership must be working on the problem.

Is this normal? It sounds all very fishy and odd to me. I feel like the shop must be over-booking appointments, is short staffed, or simply does not have techs that know what they are doing. They've had plenty of time to sort this out imho.

Also, there is very little accountability or concern. The shop says "We're waiting for Volvo." and Volvo says, "The shop must be working on it." In the meantime, my car's Sensus system has been nuked and I have to just sit around and twiddle my thumbs until somebody figures out how to fix it.

Truth be told, I loved the car for the few days I've been able to drive it. But I'm starting to question my purchase of a Volvo. The dealership and corporate support seem to be severely lacking.
I have updated my own car maps from the Volvo website for free. You need a fairly large USB drive, about 128GB, they are very inexpensive. You go to the Volvo support site, download a very large set of files, either directly to the USB drive you put in your computer, or download it to the desktop and copy it to the thumb drive.
Then plug the USB drive into the care, go to the navigation menu, and it will update. This can take over an hour to update the car. It will pick up where it left off if you have to stop the car and shut it off. It can take a considerable amount of time to download the files, depending on your Internet speed.
My update last week finally gave me the update exit numbers since all of the states in the US have changed. Time consuming, but for 15.00 or less for a drive its better than $185. You cannot use the GPS when its updating but the radio works fine.