Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

something's clanking when rocked backd & forth

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 05:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default something's clanking when rocked backd & forth

I've noticed a knocking sound while driving when the wheel changes in the rotation force direction like accelerate to decelerate, coasting to slight tip in. Then yesterday I rocked the tire back and forth in park and heard loud clanking. Can be heard when rocking eithe front tire, but seems to be coming from passenger side. I thought it was near the transmission like the axle. Looking at the engine while rocking the tire, the engine is rocking quite a bit. I can't identify where it's pivoting, but noticed the upper stabilizer mount is ripped even though it's only maybe 1 year old. Same time I replaced the lower transmission mount. What can be causing this severe rocking of the engine and is it related to the clanking/knocking? I've also been having more and more steering wheel off center left to go straight, perhaps related to engine/transmission being twisted causing a force on the suspension? Most suspension parts are new in the last 1.5 years and I've rechecked ball joints, wheel bearing for play. The left upper strut mount (one with bearing in it) is shot (was replaced last summer) but I don't think that's causing any of this...

Old 09-16-2015, 07:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a chance to crawl under there last night. The sounds is coming from just inside the passenger CV/transaxle. So the question is whether it's the spline or internal transaxle. I do see the engine rocks quite a bit on top, the stabilizer bushing in the engine bay is moving at least 1" when I rock the tires on the ground. I did not see any bushing rocking in the underbody.