Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

"Stop Ignition On Message" appears when turning off my 2011 S60?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 06:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Stop Ignition On Message" appears when turning off my 2011 S60?

Hello,
When i push the stop button to turn off my S60 i am getting a message that says STOP ignition on. When i receive this message it is accompanied by a loud bell chiming every couple of seconds. I had it in to the dealer and they said it didn't have any code associated to it but they did see a fault from a door sensor but couldn't be sure if they were related. I do not want to replace a door sensor if it isn't the cause, any ideas??

Attached Thumbnails "Stop Ignition On Message" appears when turning off my 2011 S60?-img_3402.jpg  
Old 12-20-2016, 05:40 PM

Hi I own a 2011 S60 as well and I've been experiencing the same issue, especially since it started getting cold outside. Also I noticed since this started when I open the driver door after turning off the car the infontainment stays on rather than turning off as it used to. If I open and close the door a few times eventually everything turns off as it should or if I get out and lock the car. In cascade to all this now my cruise control stopped working suddenly and I get message needs service, but 2 days ago temperature reached 50° and cruise control worked, today 30° not working. I called Volvo Manhattan to schedule service the advisor said he never heard of such thing but sounds like an electrical short, we shall see, taking the car in 3 days after Christmas.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:56 PM
emturner23,

Sounds exactly the same as mine, after receiving your message i tried shutting the door a few times to turn it off but it didn't work, at this point the only way i can shut the sensor alarm (stop ignition on message) and infotainment off is by locking the door with my remote. Mine also started to cause these problems as soon as the cold weather hit, not sure if this is just a coincidence or not, maybe we will find out. I haven't tried the cruise control to see if i have any issues there, ill try it out tomorrow and see if its working properly. As i said in the first post the dealer told me there was a door sensor code in the diagnostic so maybe ask them if yours is showing the same when you take it in to the shop. Please let me know how you make out.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:01 AM
Default Apparently solved.

Went to my service appointment and explained the tech exactly what was going on. He said he had never heard anything like that, I went about my day. When I picked my car they told me that they connected to the car but all systems appeared to be working fine with no errors, they went on a test drive as well and seem to have fount nothing. I was baffled but ever since the appointment it hasn't happened once and acc has been working with no issues at all. The mystery lives on but the issue is gone. Happy new year!
Originally Posted by dudelove
emturner23,

Sounds exactly the same as mine, after receiving your message i tried shutting the door a few times to turn it off but it didn't work, at this point the only way i can shut the sensor alarm (stop ignition on message) and infotainment off is by locking the door with my remote. Mine also started to cause these problems as soon as the cold weather hit, not sure if this is just a coincidence or not, maybe we will find out. I haven't tried the cruise control to see if i have any issues there, ill try it out tomorrow and see if its working properly. As i said in the first post the dealer told me there was a door sensor code in the diagnostic so maybe ask them if yours is showing the same when you take it in to the shop. Please let me know how you make out.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:32 AM
Default Hold your breath when you press that stop button!

Thanks for the update, they reset everything on mine the last time i was in and i was free from any sensors for four days, it was great! Then on the fourth day as i pressed the stop button i heard the loud dinning and the message had returned. I hope this is not the case for you and that it doesn't come back. I will be taking mine in again soon to see if the door sensor replacement will fix the issue, i'm going to see how long i can go before it drives me crazy.

Steve

Old 12-17-2017, 05:51 PM

Hi Steve, here we go one year later. I started getting cold and I have the same issue again. I wonder if you got any updates to share.