Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Survey: S60 vs. 525i

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 12:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Survey: S60 vs. 525i

Howdy group!

I'm researching the possibility of purchasing a 2003 S60 to replace my 1993 BMW 525i. I have ZERO personal experience with Volvos, so I figured I would come here to ask the opinion of the members of this forum to help me decide.

Here is a little background on both cars:

My BMW is in very good condition with 115,000 miles and is my regular summer driver. Although it is 10-years older than the S60, the mileage is nearly comparable and it has never been driven in snow. I live in NW PA where it can snow a lot, so I have an old Saturn for my "winter beater". However, I am getting tired of maintaining an additional car, so I have recently decided that I am going to begin driving my BMW year-round, or I'm going to sell it and the Saturn and replace it with something else.

This is where the Volvo enters the story...

My in-laws have a 2003 S60 (non-turbo) with 5-speed and right around 100,000 miles. They are both near 80-years old so the car has been gently driven and well-maintained. They live in NH but they also own an Explorer so I don't think the S60 has seen a lot of winter driving.

In my research of the S60, I've read about the tiny back seat. I have two boys (ages 6 and 7--still in booster seats) so I'm curious as to how difficult it will be for them to fit in the back. The BMW "feels" like a large car (at least by today's standards) so the size of the S60 is one of our primary concerns.

Assuming the size of the car is acceptable, then reliability is our next concern. In reading reviews on Cars.com and Consumer Reports, it seems as though the reliability is expected to at least be average.

I am quite sure that the S60 would be better in snow, so that is a vote in it's favor. It is due for the timing belt replacement, which I have researched and will do immediately myself if I end up buying it.

So, my question for the group is: "What would you do...and why?"

Thanks!

PS: Here are a couple pics of the BMW taken last month.

Last edited by SnowmanPA; 04-14-2012 at 03:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-15-2012, 09:30 AM
Default No replies?

Howdy Group,

I see that this thread has been viewed over 70 times but there isn't one person trying to sell me on the virtues of the S60? Maybe silence speaks louder than words?

Old 04-15-2012, 11:22 AM
RGT

I really like my '03 S60, I don't think the rear seats are small, my teenage daughter and friends seem to fit fine, sometimes 4 across. It also has quite a bit of room in the trunk. I have found it to be the most comfortable car I have owned for long trips, much more so than my '02 A6, or my wife's C280. It has a nice combination of large fuel tank and good mileage. I have found it to be very easy to work on. It is not a very exciting car to drive but is very predictable when pushed to its limits. I have never owned or liked cars sporting Hitler's mustache so I can't give you a comparison.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:51 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

the s60 is a great car and extremely comfortable the most comfortable I've ever had (by far!) it's got good power however mine is the 2.5T, the non turbo has better reliability then the turbo version and for me I at 115k miles and I've NEVER broken down for any reason and nothing has ever gone bad on me, part of that is because I take immaculate care of my car, 3k miles oil changes yadaa yadda ya, even never missed a tire rotation! I'm literally obsessive about matanince on my cars

the front and rear room is good and the trunk it plenty big, I even folded down the seats and stuck a small motorcycle back there!
for snow ide really spring for the all wheel drive version but there is a winter setting on these cars that by a mere push of a button it changes the whole cars driving characteristics in order to make it safe in snow and ice.

this is really a great car and should last you 300k miles easy
I can confidently say the only cars I will ever own will continue to be Volvos not including the 97 Saturn sc that was my first car and litttlerally had me pulling out my hair! worst car I've seen when it came to matance and reliability

if it's in good shape, performs well on the test drive and got a great car fax buy it! invest in some good winter tires and it will never leve you stranded.

and on top of that the middle seat at least on the back row is specifically make for a booster seat and on mine anyway all 3 rear seats have booster seat hooks behind the headrests.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:59 AM

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the input...I really appreciate it. I'm still listening...

Old 04-16-2012, 10:00 PM
Default Any model years to avoid?

Hey Gang,

My wife and I are still talking about this. We are wondering if there are any model year S60's to avoid or any major pitfalls to look out for?

Thanks!

Old 04-17-2012, 04:59 AM
RGT

from what I have read '02 and earlier had transmission issues....

Old 04-17-2012, 07:58 PM
Default Throttle Body Problem?

I was reading the forums and found a thread about throttle body issues but I got the impression that it only affected the 01 and 02 models...

Can anybody confirm this?

Thanks!

PS: I've heard from some Volvo detractors that they are fraught with electrical problems, but to be honest, I've got plenty of minor electrical glitches with my BMW.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:52 PM
Default Update: I've decided to go for it!

Hey Gang,

I finally got the time to go drive an S60 and I was favorably impressed. The car I drove was an '02 turbo automatic with 182,000 miles. It was very clean and drove extremely well for a car with that mileage.

The one I am planning to buy is an '03 non-turbo 5-speed manual with about 103,000 miles. I expect that it will drive like a new car. I'm negotiating to buy that one and will be selling my 525.

Thanks to all for your comments and advice!

Ted

PS: You'll be hearing more from me as I need to learn more about the Volvo brand. I'll post some pictures as soon as I can.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:46 AM
Default Picking up the Volvo in a month!

Howdy Gang,

Update on the Volvo vs. BMW story...

I sold the BMW yesterday. I live on the OH-PA border, and the S60 is in NH, so I can't get over to pick it up until my kids are out of school and little league baseball is over.

As soon as I pick it up, I'll get some pictures posted.

Thanks to all who took the time to respond to my questions. I'm sure I'll have more!

In fact...here is one now...what is the recommended resource for repair information? Is there a particular shop manual in print or available online? I'll do most all of my own work.

Thanks!