Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Transmission Jerking. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 12:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Transmission Jerking. Help!

For the past few months my transmission has been jerking more and more. Today I took it in and the guy said a mix of things I don't understand.,

1. Flush the Transmission (I just had the transmission oil replaced a few months ago) $160

2. Replace solenoids and reset factory settings? $127

3. Replace the upper and lower torque. $153/$292 respectively.

Also there was something about the solenoids and the internal transmission codes.

He said this may not work but my other option is to replace the transmission.

Thoughts? What does all this mean? Should I give him the go ahead?

Old 09-22-2010, 05:24 PM

Hum, so you got the transmission oil replaced only few months ago and you start having problem with your tranny. How many miles do you think you put on the car since the transmission oil was replaced? Also how many miles the car had when you got the the transmission fluid changed. Do you know what ATF fluid was used? Your transmission problem may be related to you recent oil change. Here are possible causes 1) If the old ATF had a lot of miles (over 100k) and if your oil change was made by flushing the transmission this may have loosen up deposit that accumulate over time and keep seals from leaking among other things. 2) The wrong ATF fluid was used. Volvo tranny's seam to be very sensitive to the ATF used 3) Your oil level is not right. To properly check your ATF level you need to turn the car on and go thru all gears, (Park, Neutral, Reverse, ...) then go back to park and leave the engine running and then check the level.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would first call the dealership.I am not sure what year the car is but i was having Trany issues and also go a service transmission required code and check engine light.I call the dealer and they said that there was a software update for my car so i brought it to them.The code was reading a bad solenoid but after a trany flush done buy them with the right fluid AND THE UPDATE $500ish the car been running great.The Trany for a Volvo is about $4000.Try any thing but replacement first

Old 09-23-2010, 05:13 PM

bare with me im new... i dont know what car you have with the trans problem, not just the model and the year either, the engine would also be good info to give out.. also is it four wheel drive. unless i cant find them youre leaving out a lot of needed info. also where was youre trans fluid changed at? and what method of changing it did they use? like if the used a machine that hooks up coming out of the trans at the oil cooler and "completes" the flow with another tube that goes back into the oil cooler, so it just replaces the old fluid with new fluid as if flows through the machin. this method will rule out the loosen up gunk theory.