Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Turbo Intake Manifold Installed Inside a Normally-Aspirated S60

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Intake Manifold Installed Inside a Normally-Aspirated S60

…So I did something crazy with Jody back in March.

I degreased, primed, painted, and installed a TURBO intake manifold pulled from a 2002 S60 2.4T AWD, got a special Mamba banjo bolt, for the PCV, and replaced some of the vacuum lines with silicone ones; The old ones were extremely brittle, anyways. PCV seemed to have been breathing even better (probably) because the innards of the old NA manifold originally being quite dirty. ��

The turbo manifold was installed for only three days, and less than 50 miles, and for at least four reasons:

1. The fuel injectors were a few millimeters too short; therefore, not being seated properly inside the insertion ports on the turbo manifold. This caused a long term fuel trim fault right before switching back to the NA manifold,

2. The tubing between the ETM, and air filter was way too long, the intake air was significantly warmer (but nothing crazy), a mass airflow pressure drop between ~0.7-1.2g during idle, and it was causing much rougher idle drops at red lights (this is partly due to an old MAF sensor at the time, anyways, which was originally believed to be the ETM, but wasn’t),

3. Certain components—ESPECIALLY the ETM would’ve been needlessly more difficult to access in exchange for a not-so-miraculously-altered power/torque curve,

4. …I was degreasing, priming, painting, and reinstalling the old NA manifold the same color (as seen in a couple of the photos). Also, the old dipstick tube was painted the same blue as the spark plug/rail covers. ��

However, as expected, I did feel more pull in the higher RPM range along with some loss in the lower range, despite the major installation flaws, but with more intake/fuel injector/rail component fabrication, this could’ve very likely been a plausible swap, and installation was not difficult, either; However, I doubt I will go through with reinstalling, and fabricating things in the future.

Jody was already good to go after reinstalling everything a few days ago, and the airflow is actually significantly better than before thanks to the degreasing, sanding contact surfaces, replacing the gaskets, etc. ��

Last edited by SuperMario811; 05-23-2018 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-13-2021, 11:26 AM
Default Question

Where does the red hose go? to the banjo bolt on the bottom left or another hole?
Im currently working on the same thing trying to fix the things that flaued in your setup, will post something when it's done

Last edited by mkcsejif; 10-14-2021 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-28-2021, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by mkcsejif
Where does the red hose go? to the banjo bolt on the bottom left or another hole?
Im currently working on the same thing trying to fix the things that flaued in your setup, will post something when it's done
From what I remember, the red vacuum line went to a special Mamba banjo bolt from the MAP sensor.