Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Aftermarket power steering and coolant tanks...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 10:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Aftermarket power steering and coolant tanks...

PSA: Spend the money on genuine parts here!

I replaced my original coolant reservoir with a spiffy new aftermarket one and ended up breaking off both mounting tabs and cracking the housing at the small (top) hose input.
Frustrated, I blamed myself for not being gentle enough and ordered another one... along with a new power steering tank and hose while I was at it. Both of them being cheaper aftermarket versions from a reputable manufacturer.

Sure enough, I ended up easily snapping off the mounting tabs on the coolant reservoir again AND the mounting tab on the power steering tank too! I was extra cautious, being very gentle this time. They all seemed to snap as soon as I touched them. I am an experienced mtn. bike mechanic and fully understand how important using finesse is rather than brute strength when "wrenching."
​​​​​​​
If that wasn't enough, now my "coolant low stop safely" warning light is on constantly due to the float mechanism in the coolant tank not floating freely to the top and getting stuck down in the tank!

On top of that, the new power steering tank started leaking immediately at the seam!
Now I have to reorder another coolant and power steering reservoir... and spend another afternoon swapping them out.

Lesson learned.