Vibration felt when legs on brake. - Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 12-05-2017, 11:39 PM

Default Vibration felt when legs on brake.

So I don't know how to exactly describe what I felt with this issue that I have but I'll try my very best to describe it.

I'm driving a 2002 Volvo S60, which has about 300k KM done, so i've been feeling this for about months now but didn't bothered to get it check. So to start it off, one day I turn on the engine, and the car jerks very violently, and the engine service required message came out, sent it to the workshop, scanned and found out it was a faulty ECM , got it changed , and it solved THAT problem, which I thought it would also solve the problem that I'm about to describe below

Whenever I come to a stop, almost to a complete stop, or a complete stop, vice versa, while my legs is on the break, i felt some vibration, and at some cases, the car jerks along with it as well, but just once, and it happens sometimes, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't, but it only happens during when i come to a almost complete stop / stop. Almost as if the braking to a complete stop isn't smooth, not as in new car's smooth, but I'm suppose to feel NOTHING at all from the brake when I hit it, just as the same when you hit the brakes when the car is on idle and not moving, I shouldn't be feeling any vibration / or pulsing as they call it. I thought by changing the ECM ( of course the main problem that was fix is the car no longer jerks when i start it up ) would fix this issue, but apparently it didn't, had the mechanic check it out, they found no issues at all, no error message, not ECM problem, ECM is running fine and smooth, engine is all smooth when driving, only thing is the vibration and occasionally jerk when coming to a stop, they have no idea as well, only asking me to drive it as usual and see if it gets worse. Honestly it's very annoying and it affects the driving pleasure , really not too sure how to fully describe what I felt, but that's the best I could describe.

So here I am asking for help does anyone experience the similar thing that I am experiencing ? I could really use some advice and answers ! Thank you very much !.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:21 AM

Is it a vibration, or a slower pulsing that changes speed along with the vehicle speed?
If it does, I would suspect warped brake rotors.
Otherwise it sounds like an ABS issue.
John
Old 12-06-2017, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDC View Post
Is it a vibration, or a slower pulsing that changes speed along with the vehicle speed?
If it does, I would suspect warped brake rotors.
Otherwise it sounds like an ABS issue.
John
Hi John, What do you mean by a slower pulsing that changes speed along with the vehicle speed ? I don't really get what you mean but what I meant was, you can feel the vibration on the brakes itself as my car is slowing down and coming to a complete stop, or sometimes it does that as well when it reaches a complete stop and / or jerk heavily once. And then I will feel the vibration, or pulsing, this 2 words are the same meaning right ? But as far as the speed, i don't see any speed that changes along with the vehicle speed while I'm stopping.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:24 AM

Well, a vibration is generally much faster, more like beats per second. A pulsation is just slooowwwweeerrrrr. Kind of like 1, 2, 3, 4, as opposed to 123456789. If it pulses slower or faster as the car is moving slower or faster, then it is rotational, or keeping time with the wheels. If it is a pretty constant, fast vibration, I would think it was the ABS system.