Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Whistling sound from radiator overflow tank

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whistling sound from radiator overflow tank

Just found the forum and this is my first post.

For the last couple of months, I have noticed that there is a whistling sound from the radiator overflow tank. It seems to come right from the tank cap because if I tap on it while it is making the noise, it seems to change.

I have taken the cap off and put it back on (after it cools down) but the whistle persists. The noise doesn't happen all the time - it appears to happen when the radiator fluid gets really hot. Almost like a tea kettle.

Anyone seen this before? Any suggestions on how to stop the car from whistling as I drive?

Old 10-18-2012, 02:31 PM

check your cap for a crack, it is possible that the cap is cracked....a buddy of mine had the whistling sound and cause over heating issues and we replaced his cap for around $9 and that fixed the problem, good luck repost and lets us know if this fixed your problem!

Old 10-18-2012, 08:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The gasket in the cap is likely to blame for the whistling noise. If possible, gently work the cap out, flip it over, and reinstall it.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:34 PM

I ordered a new cap to be on the safe side but will try flipping the gasket around to see if that fixes until the new cap arrives.

Will post an update after the new cap arrives.

As an aside, the local dealership wanted $45 for the cap but I ordered it through fcpgroton for $7.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by gilbreen
As an aside, the local dealership wanted $45 for the cap but I ordered it through fcpgroton for $7.
Exactly, use our sites sponser...not only are they cheaper than the dealership and have fast shipping, they help support this great forum! great choice and good luck, keep us posted

Old 11-05-2012, 03:52 PM

Just following up. I did as J.A. Higgins suggested and flipped the gasket while I waited for the new cap to arrive. The whistling subsided but was still a little it there. The new cap arrived last week and I installed it right away. I haven't heard any more whistling since. No more embarrassed wife or kids now when driving with me.

Now onto to figure out why my front right tire rubs when I turn to the left.

Thanks.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by gilbreen
Just following up. I did as J.A. Higgins suggested and flipped the gasket while I waited for the new cap to arrive. The whistling subsided but was still a little it there. The new cap arrived last week and I installed it right away. I haven't heard any more whistling since. No more embarrassed wife or kids now when driving with me.

Now onto to figure out why my front right tire rubs when I turn to the left.

Thanks.
it wasnt because of the gasket...its because the cap was cracked like I had stated, glad you replaced it cause if not you would have ran into more problems down the road with the car starting to over heat