Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Xenon low beam failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xenon low beam failure

Just picked up a 2004 S60 R, 80,000 miles and seems to be in pretty good shape. Getting a Low Beam Failure on the message board. New to xenon lighting and when driving at night, both lights due light up and I can see fine down the road. I hit the high beam and only the Drivers side bucket seems to move and not passenger side. I don't know if that is correct or not, figured pass side might be permanent fixture down the road.
Xenon doesn't change wattage like a normal light when hitting Low/High beams, correct? Looks like just the bucket swings up or down.

I did buy 2 low beams (H7) but couldn't find where they go so returned. I thought the inside light was low beam as they didn't work but upon taking it out and putting it back in, those Daytime Running Light is now working.

Thanks. Scott

Old 06-30-2011, 08:27 PM

Did you check your green and black wires that connect to the low beam? I know thats a dumb question but I believe thats all that sends the message to the car to give you a failure.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:56 AM

Well, Daytime running lights (inside light next to grill) no longer work, once again. When they are out, the Xenon lights stay on during normal driving and the light swith in the OFF position. Is that normal?

I will try to find the 2 wires you mentioned and see if they are connected or not.

Thanks.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:04 PM

I dont think you can turn the xenon lights off unless you have the daytime running lights on. I have the same model and year car as you. The xenon lights should only be on in the (from left to right) first and 3rd position. The middle light with the little green indicator light is your running lights and your xenon lights will be off when in this position.

The daytime running lights SHOULD be, although Ive never payed that close attention, off while the xenon lights are on. I dont know why I guess its the same reason the fog lights cannot be on while the high beams are on.

I hope this helps as I am kind of finding your post a little confusing lol

Old 07-01-2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Nuttymopar
Just picked up a 2004 S60 R, 80,000 miles and seems to be in pretty good shape. Getting a Low Beam Failure on the message board. New to xenon lighting and when driving at night, both lights due light up and I can see fine down the road. I hit the high beam and only the Drivers side bucket seems to move and not passenger side. I don't know if that is correct or not, figured pass side might be permanent fixture down the road.
Xenon doesn't change wattage like a normal light when hitting Low/High beams, correct? Looks like just the bucket swings up or down.

I did buy 2 low beams (H7) but couldn't find where they go so returned. I thought the inside light was low beam as they didn't work but upon taking it out and putting it back in, those Daytime Running Light is now working.

Thanks. Scott
There is a big circle that you twist that acts as a cover for the low beam lights on your volvo.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:30 AM

Yeah. Started looking into this last night pretty good. Kiss (Keep It Simple Stupid). After taking a few things out last night, figure I would look at fuses, sure enough right low beam fuse was bad. Replaced and now low/high beams both work and buckets both move/change. So that is correct. Then looked in manual and it states that DRLs will be on depending upon the lights conditions. Xenon will come on, DRLs will go out if it is a little dark. That might be my main problem. Working 2 jobs, don't work on car much during normal hours.... Lol

But message still saying bulb failure - low beam. I tried doing the reset trick to clear message but no go.

I do have a switch on directional shaft that says 'reset' but manual does not say how to use. I tried the, key on 1, push/hold trip, then key to 2 within 2 seconds. That did get rid of my 'regular service' message but not low beam error". Today we work the little things.

Thanks to all replies

Old 07-02-2011, 07:38 AM

Of the 2 circles or cups, 1 is smaller then the other and these are the DRLs, inside light next to grill. I thought they were low beam. The larger cups are the xenon. Drl's are differnt bulb then h7. So I don't think h7 fit our model with optional xenon's.

Thanks

Old 07-02-2011, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Nuttymopar
Yeah. Started looking into this last night pretty good. Kiss (Keep It Simple Stupid). After taking a few things out last night, figure I would look at fuses, sure enough right low beam fuse was bad. Replaced and now low/high beams both work and buckets both move/change. So that is correct. Then looked in manual and it states that DRLs will be on depending upon the lights conditions. Xenon will come on, DRLs will go out if it is a little dark. That might be my main problem. Working 2 jobs, don't work on car much during normal hours.... Lol

But message still saying bulb failure - low beam. I tried doing the reset trick to clear message but no go.

I do have a switch on directional shaft that says 'reset' but manual does not say how to use. I tried the, key on 1, push/hold trip, then key to 2 within 2 seconds. That did get rid of my 'regular service' message but not low beam error". Today we work the little things.

Thanks to all replies
Im pretty sure the RESET button your referring to is for the dash to reset the MPG you have been averaging, average speed, etc

Old 07-03-2011, 09:47 AM

You are correct. Didn't know that. Thanks. Just reset and I'll keep a eye on it now too see how good mpg I get. With my foot on the floor. Lol