Volvo V50 A sports wagon that is affordable, sporty and best of all, useful for almost anything.

HID upgrade low beam failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 11:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID upgrade low beam failure

Hi Folks,

I have a V50T5, 2005. I was wondering if you anyone has experience with upgrading halogen low beams to HID's? I had a kit installed but removed it because I was getting low beam failure (and a buzzing sound). This happened only with the engine started. It didn't happen with the engine off. My kit does not use the factory wiring to power the ballast of the HID's, there is a separate fused feed switched through a relay that powers the ballast. The 12V relay that is switched (controlled) from the factory wiring so if the lights are on, the relay is powered allowing power to the ballast. I didn't want to wire the ballast directly to the factory wiring because I wanted to avoid any possible inrush current that may occur then the HID's start-up.

I have the wiring diagrams and they show that the low beams are powered through the CEM (located below the glove box). I took a look at the CEM to see if there is a shunt (in line resistor) that samples the current and the voltage across the resistor is used to determine if the low beam bulb is working or not. Apparently this is how the S60/V70 is set-up. Anyway, all that I see on the CEM are relays and fuses, no large shunt (bridge bar) as on the S60/V70. To get a better look I have to disconnect the wire harnesses (about 3) to get the CEM out. I didn't want to do this unless I was sure what mod I would have to make.

Anyway, I would really appreciate any help you can offer.

Cheers!!

Old 03-16-2006, 03:08 PM
Default RE: HID upgrade low beam failure

you neeed to get some voltage stabilizers for the headlights.....you hid kit probably uses 35 watts, and the halogen headlights use about 55 watts.....I got mtec 8000k xenons for my s80 t6, they were designed for a s60 but they work on any model that takes the H7 bulb for low beams. My s60 kit came with voltage stabilizers, ballasts, and the xenon bulb, as well as the connector for the stock wire. They are great, they cost me about 390$ but they are warranteed for 2 years. The voltage stabilizer will keep the low beam error message off. if you can return your kit, get the mtecs they are great and well worth the money....

Old 03-17-2006, 05:14 PM

Thanks for the post. Where can I get information on the mtec? I searchd the web a bit and all I found was mtecpower.com When I tried to go to the site, it was a bogus google site.

From what you are describing, your kit is powered throught the factory wiring. I believe that if I power my kit (ballast) through the factory wires the LBF will go away. My kit came with a separate fused power source siwtched with the relay controlled by the facotry wiring. I prefer to use this separate power feed to avoid any potenital inrush current at startup to the CEM.

Please let me know where I can find info for the mtec.

Cheers...

Old 03-19-2006, 04:35 PM

on ebay just type in mtec volvo or something, the kit will come up....

Here's the thing, this kit is for the s60, but it works on the s80 t6 2001 because they take the same bulb h7.. So as long as your v70t5 takes the H7 bulb then you can also use the s60 kit!

If you dont take the same bulb, email the guy on ebay tell him the bulb size you need, and ask him to add the VOLTAGE BALANCER, also make sure they are already connected for you- thats the key part right there to keep that LBF error message off....All these kits come in 4k,6k, or 8k...he has higher but then its not street legal....ya so just search on ebay for them!

to get into the stock wiring all you have to do is plug the anode and cathode panels right into the stock part (if you plug it in backwards it wont work)

if you want......you can check out mine installled!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2188838