Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

1998 S70 Overheated, died, won't start, clicking

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 S70 Overheated, died, won't start, clicking

Hello all you Volvo forumities I need your help,
With the family yesterday when my S70 started to make a sputtering sound when I excellerated, when I came to a complete stop the car died.. It restarted a few times but after about 5 miles it would not start.

I had been dealing with a coolant leak from the expansion tank which would cause my car to overheat. I noticed moisture in the air filter and while checking the radiator hose for a leak noticed it smelled of gas.

The car attempted to turn over which then became a just a clicking noise. I think it might be a blown gasket and will open her up today to see but I wanted to see if anyone might have had this problem and can confirm this or give me a few other things to search for?

Old 08-06-2009, 09:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like a severely blown head gasket or cracked head/ block. Engine might be hydrolocked, or worse, bearing seizure. Take all the plugs out before doing anything else, make sure the battery is charged, then try cranking the engine. If it cranks fine (should turn faster than normal since there'll be no compression) then you have a head gasket/ cracked head/ cracked block issue. Make sure you put rags over the plug holes before cranking, because if the engine is hydrolocked, it will blow coolant/ oil/ whatever other fluids out of the holes and all over the place. If the engine still won't turn, it's locked up mechanically, and you can save yourself the trouble of removing the head, unless you want to search for what caused the problem... which was probably oil dilution due to a blown head gasket or cracked block/ head. Any of these may have been caused by the overheating (though they COULD be a cause OF overheating.) An Overheating engine is serious business- don't continue to drive the car until the cause is fixed.

Good luck!