Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

1999 s70 transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 s70 transmission problems

Hello all,

this is my first time posting to this web site and i have researched as much as possible about my transmission problem before i posted my question the the S70 V70 community. I have had my S70 for several years now and love it . The vehicle had 170k on it when I purchased it and I put in a used trans with 68k due to the present trans having problems. Within the last 8 months I have replaced the S1, S2,and lock up solenoid. The car was running flawlessly until one day it gave me a line pressure solenoid fault and started slipping out of drive and reverse and the trans pump sounded like it was cavatating (whine). (all fluids clean and topped off) I thought the Line press solenoid was bad because I checked the ohms through the wiring harness and the were off the charts on my fluke. Further investigation proved to be a faulty connector at the solenoid itself. I changed out the connector and put everything back together
topped off the trans fluid and the pump whine went away. Now, I have no error codes what so ever and when I start the car up i can put it in reverse and drive and the car will move but after i drive it around the block it slips like it is not in gear and the trans pump whines . i shut the car off let it sit for 5 min then i can drive it again...(no error codes) then it acts like it is in neutral and the pumps whines like it is starving for fluid.
could this be a valve body problem or internal filter problem?

Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you,

Coalvatis

Old 04-05-2016, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I ended up buying this exact car from Coalvatis about 4 months after the above was posted (which he portrayed as a 'great S70' -buyer beware, I was not aware of any of the problems)...anyway, I got about 500 miles on it after buying it from him before this exact same problem he writes about above happened to us. We took the car on little 5-10 mile trips mostly so it took awhile for this to reoccur. The car has sat since around January because I had no funds to throw at it. Finally took it to the Volvo dealer and today, they called me and these are the codes,,,

ABS - No fault found
CDM-0001 Vehicle speed signal (VSS) Signal missing - DTC is found not active (what's this mean??)
CDM-DF13 CAN bus H-signal Signal too high - DTC found not active
CDM-DF-16 CAN bus L-signal Signal too high - DTC found not active
ECM-530D Malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) TCM - Faulty signal - DTC found active
ETM - no fault found
IMM-321 Initiation signal from engine control module (ECM) Signal missing - DTC found active
SRS - no fault found
TCM -0039 Gear shift position sensor Faulty signal - DTC found active
VGLA - No fault found

Volvo says basically this.....

TCM-0039 is a ghost code. (And both Coalvatis and I have been into the PNP already so I believe that) Because its the only TCM specific code, and there are no other TCM specific codes, the recommendation of the dealer tech (go figure) is to replace transaxle as a unit. I believe I have read this in the manual on volvo tips about the AW 50-42.

The tech said he found the transmission linkage was adjusted incorrectly. He's correct.
The tech surmises that because of this, we ran the vehicle in 3 all the time (which you'd have to be really stupid to do as there is an arrow on the dash that prompts shifting up), and because of this, lockup is never achieved, which elevates the transaxle temp. (it doesn't, I believe only L prevents lockup) I guess this heat caused some type of internal damage to the trans and I was handed a $3000 repair estimate. Tech said that everything else seemed to be working properly but as soon as the tranny warms up the clutches no longer engage. (Why? because of the lower viscosity of the fluid due to heat? If so, This is probably why I was able to get the car home from Detroit to Toledo in the first place as the tranny fluid looks brand spanking new - again buyer beware!)

I was really worried to take it into Volvo because I expected this type of analysis from the local dealer. I don't know whether he actually checked the solenoids or did any specific tests other than see that there are no other TCM codes and he probably is guessing the rest I'd reckon. However, with all that said, I suspect the tech is right and the tranny is and always was blown.

Any ideas from any of you out there? Are some of these other codes such as VSS code and the Imobilizer code concerning? And what exactly does it mean by DTC is found not active? Does that mean its an old code?

I know I've solicited your advice on this car before when I had hope it would run again, but I'll ask once more. Any comment at all is appreciated.

This car is otherwise headed to the salvage yard and unfortunately it appears I've learned an expensive lesson.

Anyone need any quality parts? I've got em

Old 04-05-2016, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

First thing I would do is drain and flush the transmission fluid (this can be done at home as it is pretty easy). Then fill it to the proper level with the correct type of transmission fluid. Once that is done, see how it works. If it is still bad, shop around for a new transaxle ( I found several on car-part.com for under $500)