Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

'98 Volvo S70 nonturbo dim headlight passenger side only

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 04:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '98 Volvo S70 nonturbo dim headlight passenger side only

I'm new to the forum so, I'm hoping I can get some much needed assistance.

I have a 1998 Volvo S70 base model nonturbo with just under 219k miles.My problem is that the passenger side lowbeam headlight is much dimmer than the driver side.Highbeams are fine on both sides. Fuses are good bulbs are new.Have the same amount of voltage to both sides approx 11.97VDC. Swapped bulbs from one side to the other.No change.Read resistance to ground terminal on battery and both sides are almost identical.Checked resistance at several points on both sides and found them almost the same.I have voltage going to the bulb.Same on each side.
Does anyone have any idea what might be going on??

Old 05-16-2014, 09:30 PM

You have a grounding problem,

First, you should have at least 12 volts with the engine off and about 14V with the engine running. Check it at the battery. If you have those voltages then move outward toward the light. I suspect the battery cable connection. Particularly at the positive clamp here the cable crimps to the clamp. RSPI has a good video on how to address it. I recall he gives a good diagnostic on voltage issues.

I also suspect the grounding circiut for the right side bulb is an issue because of the differenc ein intensity of that bulb. Look at grounding point for loose wires or corrsion.

Old 05-17-2014, 12:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lv8rmn
I'm new to the forum so, I'm hoping I can get some much needed assistance.

I have a 1998 Volvo S70 base model nonturbo with just under 219k miles.My problem is that the passenger side lowbeam headlight is much dimmer than the driver side.Highbeams are fine on both sides. Fuses are good bulbs are new.Have the same amount of voltage to both sides approx 11.97VDC. Swapped bulbs from one side to the other.No change.Read resistance to ground terminal on battery and both sides are almost identical.Checked resistance at several points on both sides and found them almost the same.I have voltage going to the bulb.Same on each side.
Does anyone have any idea what might be going on??
Did you measure the voltage right at the light bulb connection (i.e. voltage across plus and minus bulb terminal)? How much did the voltage differ between sides?

If the measured voltage right at the bulb connectors is the same, and swapping the bulbs doesn't make a difference, then you don't have a pwr or ground problem. Look at the reflector and lens; cloudy at all?

If you still suspect it's in the wiring, swap the whole left and right light assembly (obviously just temporarily for testing). That will tell you if it's in the wiring or the light; they come out pretty easily.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:39 AM

gdog,
The voltage drop across the bulb is the same on both sides.Going to do some more investigating later today.I had already planned on removing the one side so, removing the other seems reasonable. I'll give it a try.Thanks.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:44 AM

kwatt,
The voltage was measured at the bulb and is 11.97VDC with engine off.Battery reads same acrossed it.Would you happen to know where I'd find RSPI's video?? I intend to check wiring harness as well.Thanks for the info.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:55 AM

kwatt & gdog,
The cure seems to be a $7.00 can of paint!! The reflector was extremely dull.So, I bought a can of spray paint and good Lord willing that will fix this issue. I'll know more after dark.Thanks again for your help guys.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lv8rmn
kwatt & gdog,
The cure seems to be a $7.00 can of paint!! The reflector was extremely dull.So, I bought a can of spray paint and good Lord willing that will fix this issue. I'll know more after dark.Thanks again for your help guys.
Uhh, OK, I'm confused..

If the reflector or lens is cloudy I would just look for a good one at the JY..

Old 05-17-2014, 08:47 PM

I don;t know what to say about the lens being cloudy. That may cause it to reflect poorly but the bulb output should be about the same. Your looking at it, not me... so you have to follow your gut.

I'm still a little concerned about your voltage. Measure your voltage at the battery with everything turned off. You should have about 12-12.5 volts - close to 14 if the engine is running. If you don't you need to address that.