Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

99 S70 AC Blower Motor Diagnosis - Help Me

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 06:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 S70 AC Blower Motor Diagnosis - Help Me

Hello everyone,

I am new to these forums and I have attempted to track down the information that I am needing but cannot.

I have an ECC unit and I have been experiencing a slow in the AC fan during acceleration when set to full blast (this is not the four settings, it's variable power). It experiences the same slow down during acceleration regardless of where the fan speed slider is set to.

More interesting is that it will speed up during braking. This lead me to believe there was a vacuum leak at first. I then noticed that the fan itself was not spinning very quick at all, or was slowing to almost a halt and then slightly speeding up.

It has finally pretty much died out, so I removed it and bench tested it with my car battery. The wire I used was extremely tiny gauge and I am wondering if this is why I got the result I did...

The blower motor would not spin unless I manually turned the fan and then it would spin just fine, but I am not sure it was reaching its ultimate speed. I suppose I could try it with a higher gauge wire to see if this will give it enough juice to start up on its own.

Otherwise, I am at a loss as to what to replace. The resistor would be my next guess, but being as this motor was able to put out air at any setting on the slider, I would be hesitant to believe it is the resistor.

Does anyone have any ideas, or possibly any information on where to find the resistor on the 99 S70?

Thank you everyone in advance!

Old 09-12-2013, 11:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solution

For those of you who are searching for a solution to this problem, I have replaced my BLOWER MOTOR and it fixed the problem. Good luck to anyone who comes across this issue with these symptoms on this model and year.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:50 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks for the update. I have not seen your thread (just moved 1,000 miles) or I would have suggested the motor replacement. When I tested a blower motor out of one of these cars, the thing jumped out of my hand and almost hurt me it started up so fast.