Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

99 S70 Raspy, Light Wizzing/buzzing Noise. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 08:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 S70 Raspy, Light Wizzing/buzzing Noise. Help!

My 99 S70 (155K miles) has developed a very annoying noise. It can be described as a raspy, light whizzing/buzzing noise. Kinda like a very light fast rattle or maybe like a piece of tape flickering very fast in the wind. It is very annoying in it's high tangy pitch. Anyway, the noise used to only show up around 65-70 but then started showing up at lower and lower speeds. It can now be heard as low as in the 50's. It seems to becoming from the drivers side mirror corner of the window. Also, for some reason, reaching out and pulling the mirror in seems to make the noise go away. The noise is not constant or reliable, sometimes it shows up right away other times it will drive quietly for 5-10 min then show up. Temperature seems to have no direct effect, but I remember hearing something like this months ago but then it seemed to go way only to return a few weeks ago. I am leaving for an 8 hour drive soon and would love to silence this pest. Any suggestions would we great.

OK below is what I've tried so far.

Taping the entire drivers side window, still there.
Taping the entire drivers side door, still there.
Taping the front lower corner side and top of the windshield, still there.

I brought it to a local body shop, they tried all of the above but also tried.
Removing the windshield wiper, still there.
Tightening the hood, still there.
I had order new weather stripping but since the taping around the window & door didn't help they said they didn't see a point in spending the money for the new weather stripping. After trying things for a day they thought they might have got it but weren't sure so they didnt charge me and let me drive it for the weekend. Well the noise came back.

-Mark

Old 09-23-2008, 06:23 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: 99 S70 Raspy, Light Wizzing/buzzing Noise. Help!

How about sunroof?
Did you tape all around the mirror?

Old 12-18-2008, 12:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE:

I had my drivers side window and door weather stripping replaced and it made a huge difference. The ride is so much quieter now and a much more enjoyable ride. That said, while it was greatly diminished I could still hear the noise. Quite enough that if I hadn't been looking for it, I probable wouldn't have noticed it, but since I was looking for it I did.

In the end I tried taping some other parts around the mirror. ( I had tried some areas around the mirror but not all of them) This time I put a piece of electrical tape over the space between the movable part of the mirror and the fixed based. You know how you can pull your whole mirror in so that the actual glass mirror is parallel with the door window, well the space between that movable part and the fixed part. Anyway, that little piece of tape fixed it. I have no idea why this part suddenly started making noise, but I am very happy to have it silenced.
If anyone wants a quieter ride and doesn't mind spending the $$ I highly recommend replacing the weather stripping.

Also, My thanks to tech for the tip to look at the mirror again.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:21 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Glad all is fixed now!!