Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

aftermarket FOG lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 09:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket FOG lights

Hi, I got a 1998 volvo S70, AT, 176k.

I want to install aftermarket fog/driving lights, as my nightime vision is getting worse these days. I want to order a nice bright set of lights, but I want to know if I need to order a roll of wire and other needed accessories to intsall this project before I order.

My Volvo did not come equipted with fog light option. But I notice a fog light toggle switch on drivers control panel. My question is this, do these vehicles come with fog light wires already installed from power control box, up to the lower grille section where they would be mounted? And, if so, I assume the fog light toggle would function such wire harnesses?

It would make sense to me, as they went through the cost and trouble of installing the toggle switch, even though they were not installed at factory/dealer add on.

Thanx in advance.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:58 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Well first of all we should dispense with the idea that what what makes sense to you and what makes sense to some Swedish auto engineer are the same. More on this later.

Next, the good news is that the wiring for the front fogs is behind the little grills on the bumper, but you will need new grills and the lights themselves. You will also need a relay for the lights. And a switch for the dashboard.

Later (I promised I'd get back to this). The switch on your dash is for the REAR fog light. And I mean light. The engineers have determined that one rear fog light is sufficient. I'm not arguing the point, mind you, but it seems to me that having another one back there would add a measure of safety. Bulbs burn out, brighter, etc., but no, you get only one and you're going to have to turn it on independently of the front fog lights.

Buy all parts from your friendly salvage yard/ebay.

All that being said, if brightness is your issue I wouldn't go the fog light route. Get some Silverstars first (about 50 buck and 20 minutes). They burn out faster but are brighter. Driving lights in the fog holes would work but that area is prone to rock damage so plan on replacements. Next up on the scale are projectors and other more exotic options but the cost goes up quite a bit for really significant changes.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:13 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

1+ with Don. I don't think I have ever seen a post that I agreed with more.

As for the one fog light deal, I think Volvo wanted to make sure that fog was not mistaken for brake lights.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:41 AM

I run Silverstars in all my vehicles, I highly recomend them. It started with my 98 Chevy K1500 that had dismal headlight performance. They did help alot, but not quite enough so enter Hella 550 driving lights (not fog lights)made all the difference. I mounted mine on top of the bumper to avoid the rocks/snow/etc. They came with relay,wiring and switch.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:15 PM

anybody tried the HID conversion kits yet?