Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Best choices

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 03:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best choices

As I have said before, I'm compiling a list of mods to my car that I plan on getting. I'm still waiting to hear back from sharpHID.com about the headlights/Angel Eyes, but now I've got some performance questions.

1. I know that two things to get are the catback and downpiping. Though I've done a little research, I'm still a little confused on what these do. Also, what are the best kits/sizes/brands to buy?

2. Someone has already told me that the ipd R Manifold is better than their RIP kit, but how much better?

3. What's the point in getting a turbo boost gauge?

Old 05-13-2009, 04:54 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BlazeS70
As I have said before, I'm compiling a list of mods to my car that I plan on getting. I'm still waiting to hear back from sharpHID.com about the headlights/Angel Eyes, but now I've got some performance questions.

1. I know that two things to get are the catback and downpiping. Though I've done a little research, I'm still a little confused on what these do. Also, what are the best kits/sizes/brands to buy?

2. Someone has already told me that the ipd R Manifold is better than their RIP kit, but how much better?

3. What's the point in getting a turbo boost gauge?
1. I suggest you go custom for both the DOWNPIPE and CATBACK SYSTEMS. In the end you will most like save on the whole thing. 3" mandrel bent piping for the DOWNPIPE and either 2.5" or 3" mandrel bent piping for the CATBACK system. If you planned on upgrading the size of your turbo a 3" catback would benefit you more. However it wont or shouldn't hinder performance if you decide not to do a turbo upgrade and decide to go full three inch for the entire system.

A DOWNPIPE connects the turbo to the CATBACK system. It is what the gasses are expelled through.

This might help you understand more, http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm

2. IPD USA's RIP Kit is a waste of money. You wont gain hardly anything with it, other then under the hood appearances. The R manifold is the better option, be it more expensive. I cannot answer how much better it is. It just is better then the RIP Kit. You'll like it a lot more then the RIP Kit because you'll gain more power with it then the RIP Kit. How much power I can't answer that, talk to IPD USA about it.

3. The point of getting a boost gauge is to know how much vacuum and boost your making at any given time. When your not in boost your in vacuum. one should have a boost gauge especially when upgrading their ECU since the boost properties will change due to raising the boost levels. A gauge that can read 25 In Hg / 25 PSI is a good gauge to get. Autometer, Defi these are two good gauge brands to purchase. Now if your not upgrading your ECU you don't really need one, however it is still a good idea to see how much your boosting anyways. I say if you mod any engine part at all and your turboed you should get a boost gauge. Also you don't want to over boost and cause a problem under the hood, thusly a boost gauge is warranted to know how much your boosting so you don't have problems down the road. Also good to know if your boosting at the right PSI too. If say your stock boost is set to 10 PSI from the factory and you get the boost gauge and your only boosting 5 PSI you know something is wrong and have to go in a fix the problem. Like wise if you get an ECU upgrade and it is set for 15 PSI and your hitting it right on the money then you know the ECU is doing its job. Or if your over boosting lets say 20 PSI on stock boost or with an ECU upgrade and 20 PSI is high for these cars then you know your OVER BOOSTING and something needs to be turned down some.

10-17 PSI is safe range to boost with an ECU upgrade. I'd stay on the 15 PSI high end of things to be safe.