Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

buying Volvo s70!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 09:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying Volvo s70!

Hi everyone tomorrow I'm buying a 1999 Volvo s70 with 75k miles, its missing an oxygen sensor which I'll replace myself but I'm just making sure that I'm making the right choice for a first car! The guy wants 2900 btw, any thoughts and tips would be really appreciated thanks!

Old 01-09-2012, 11:44 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Really depends on the condition. You can also check the Buyer's Guide in the 850 section. It is a sticky or in one of the sticky's (DIY one likely).

You may want to take a code reader with you to see if there is other issues with the CEL.

Items of most concern, IMO:
1. Last timing belt replacement? (Not due till 105,000 but it's very old and may have been).
2. Has the electornic throttle control module been replaced? (They ususally go out around 100,000 from what I can tell).
3. Has the PCV system been replaced? (Should have been serviced at 60k. You can pull the dip stick once the car is warm and still running to see if it smokes).
4. Service records.
5. Motor mounts conditions.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:01 PM

I just bought a 1998 s70 with 91,000 miles ten days ago. Today it went in the shop for a new timing belt, water pump, and pulleys. Just talked to my mechanic and he told me that it was a very good car in good shape,

There were a few things I noticed about it when I drove it before deciding to buy it. One obvious thing was that there were no signs that the used car dealer attempted in any way to cover it's condition up.

The engine was clean but not recently power washed. There were some minor problems such as the master power windo controller not controlling some of the windows and the issue with the abs light coming on probably due to bad solder connections on the abs module circuit board.
Other than those issues the car is very clean and runs very well. As with any new or used car though it can be hit or miss. I did a lot of research an many makes of cars before buying this car. A common theme with all of them as I visited various forums and read user reviews is that although overall a car may be designed well and be very safe and durable there is always a small percentage of any make of car that can have problems through it's life.

I would say to look for obvious attempts to hide things that the seller may have done. Look under the car for signs of excessive rust, oily spots under the car that may indicate a leak, smell the transmission fluid when you pull the dipstick out for signs of a burnt smell. Have a mechanic look at the car if possible.

Good luck. I wish you the best.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:19 PM

geez, that low of miles is a pretty damn good buy at under $3k. good find.

i'm a big proponent of taking the car into your mechanic and have them run a diagnostic test on it before you purchase. $50-70 is nothing for the peace of mind you'll get.

you may also list those findings, there will always invariably be some, here and see what others have to say.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:27 PM

Tip #1 (and only):

Tell the seller that you'll pay for the car the exact amount extra neded to replace the "missing" oxygen sensor, and see if the vehicle runs properly.

If it does, buy it.

But don't worry... it won't. Buying a car with a "missing" fundamental emissions component is like buying a car from a mechanic who says "Oh, it just needs a tune-up." It just never ends well.

Otherwise, why would anybody in their right mind be selling such a great (as you describe it) car for such little money?

Short answer? Because the $200 it'll take to replace the "missing" oxygen sensor WON'T FIX THE REASON THE SENSOR WAS REMOVED TO BEGIN WITH.

If nobody else here is going to say it, I will. You're trying to convince yourself that nothing is wrong, and you're trying to use us to justify it. Deep down inside, you know just as well as I do that you're about to screw yourself. If you have the tools, knowhow and patience to work on a car like this yourself, well done. Because you likely just found a willing subject. Good luck. I'll be here to help if you need it.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree completely w/loudgoldwing in this case; think about it from the seller's perspective for a second...

On top of that the 1999 MY was probably the worst for the S/V70 line; 1998 was the best, so there's really no comparison...