Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Check engine light.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light.

Hi,

My nephew and I were in the T5 1998 S70 two days ago, and while driving he told me that the engine seemed "hesitant". I asked him to step on the gas and when he did, the car accelerated sluggishly and the CHECK ENGINE light came on.

The next day, I went to Autozone, and after the free diagnostic (OBD II), he told me the code P0302 Cylinder 2 misfire.

Today, I went to my mechanic and we found out the car was not regularly maintained as it should have been ( I got it last year). We found the culprit (the wire attached to the #2 plug were all wet with oil, we assumed to due careless tech when changing oil for my car; spillage). So, we decided to change the spark plugs, spark plug wires, and fuel filter. Basically, we did a tune up. He did OBD II, and reset the lights.

Several hours later, I started the car and the car felt so good! I wished I had tuned it sooner. However, I spoke too soon. Minutes later, the CHECK ENGINE light came on again. We reset it again.

On my way home on the highway, the annoying CHECK ENGINE light came on.

What could be the problem? My car's not overheating and we basically changed everything except the converter.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Still a misfire code?

Old 07-06-2009, 08:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aabdraff57
Hi,

My nephew and I were in the T5 1998 S70 two days ago, and while driving he told me that the engine seemed "hesitant". I asked him to step on the gas and when he did, the car accelerated sluggishly and the CHECK ENGINE light came on.

The next day, I went to Autozone, and after the free diagnostic (OBD II), he told me the code P0302 Cylinder 2 misfire.

Today, I went to my mechanic and we found out the car was not regularly maintained as it should have been ( I got it last year). We found the culprit (the wire attached to the #2 plug were all wet with oil, we assumed to due careless tech when changing oil for my car; spillage). So, we decided to change the spark plugs, spark plug wires, and fuel filter. Basically, we did a tune up. He did OBD II, and reset the lights.

Several hours later, I started the car and the car felt so good! I wished I had tuned it sooner. However, I spoke too soon. Minutes later, the CHECK ENGINE light came on again. We reset it again.

On my way home on the highway, the annoying CHECK ENGINE light came on.

What could be the problem? My car's not overheating and we basically changed everything except the converter.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Regarding the oil you found. 90% of all T5's and S70's for that matter will have some oil accumulation near the plug wires. I don't like it but it's pretty normal and not the cause of your "hesitation".

If you are still getting that code after you keep clearing it, then throw parts at it. Get a new plug coil on the No 2 cylinder or swap it out with another cylinder to see if the same code comes up.

And you haven't nearly changed everything except the converter, not even close...You have PCV, throttle body cleaning, air filter, oxygen sensors, and other things to go...

Add distributor cap/rotor and fuel injectors. Just changing out plugs and wires doesn't equal a "tune up".

Last edited by FredMc; 07-06-2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:22 PM
Default Cel

Originally Posted by tech
Still a misfire code?
Yes. The funny thing is, I drove about 90 miles from OKC to Tulsa yesterday and the car ran great. It was even better than when I bought it. Sometimes, the CEL blinked.

Today, I went to Autozone and the OBD II read, Cylinder 2,3 misfire. After convincing the Autozone tech about how I changed the spark plugs and wires, he went ahead and cleared the codes for me.

The lights did not come on for several hours. In fact, I drove the car on the highway, on the street, used the "S" mode, and stepped on the gas rigorously. Nothing happened. Everything seemed fine. Until I drove home, a few meters from work, the light came on again.

How serious is this problem? It's annoying.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Default Wow

Originally Posted by FredMc
Regarding the oil you found. 90% of all T5's and S70's for that matter will have some oil accumulation near the plug wires. I don't like it but it's pretty normal and not the cause of your "hesitation".

If you are still getting that code after you keep clearing it, then throw parts at it. Get a new plug coil on the No 2 cylinder or swap it out with another cylinder to see if the same code comes up.

And you haven't nearly changed everything except the converter, not even close...You have PCV, throttle body cleaning, air filter, oxygen sensors, and other things to go...

Add distributor cap/rotor and fuel injectors. Just changing out plugs and wires doesn't equal a "tune up".
Okay, forgive my ignorance. It's not everyday that a mediocre school teacher get to drive a Volvo.

Thanks for the input though. I appreciate it.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:19 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I think it is time for a cap and rotor.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aabdraff57
Yes. The funny thing is, I drove about 90 miles from OKC to Tulsa yesterday and the car ran great. It was even better than when I bought it. Sometimes, the CEL blinked.

Today, I went to Autozone and the OBD II read, Cylinder 2,3 misfire. After convincing the Autozone tech about how I changed the spark plugs and wires, he went ahead and cleared the codes for me.

The lights did not come on for several hours. In fact, I drove the car on the highway, on the street, used the "S" mode, and stepped on the gas rigorously. Nothing happened. Everything seemed fine. Until I drove home, a few meters from work, the light came on again.

How serious is this problem? It's annoying.
what plugs did you use? Did you check the gap. I only recommend Volvo Yittrium plugs for the T5. They are automatically gapped, but should be checked to .028" I think. Only like $35 or so from Waltrip Volvo in TN.

Many have had misfire problems with common plat tipped plugs. Believe me I didn't think buying genuine Volvo branded plugs would make any difference but dam if they do.

And until you start checking things out, it sure will persist.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:45 PM
Default Autolite

I think the plugs were Autolite double platinum.

Tech, a rotor and a cap. I have this mechanic friend who does the labor for almost nothing (I used to teach his kids at school) so I will get those parts for sure. In addition, he gets stuff cheaper at Advance.

I just don't want to buy things that I don't need. I'm itching to send the car to Swedish imports in Edmond. It's just about 1.5 hours away. They actually did my ABS module, water pump, and some other stuff that I can't remember.

But, if I can get free labor, why not? :P