Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Climate control problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Climate control problem

This is for a 2000 S70 non-turbo climate control....

The cold has required the use of heat in the car. This has turned out to expose a problem with the climate control. Here are the symptoms.

I felt there was not a lot of air coming out of the defrost vent. No clue if this is normal.

Air is
ALWAYS coming out of the middle vents (above the climate control). It doesn't matter what settings is used on the climate control unit.

Heat does come out of the lower vents if the setting calls for heat. Heat NEVER comes out of the 2 middle vents above the climate control.

If I turn from defrost to something else, shortly the A/C and refresh lights blink. I've read this is an indicator there is a problem. I followed some site information and removed the glove box, etc and watched the motors.

I never saw the motor on the far right move. I think this is the fresh air intake motor.

I can see the shaft of one motor (motor is on the driver side of the car and the shaft juts out to the passenger side. It rotates about 90 degrees as I move the setting ****. If I stick my hand in the vent hole from the bottom I can beel the flapper close and open. I figure this is a good thing.

I think there is a motor opposite and a little closer to the firewall to the one I just mentioned. I can't see a shaft on the drivers side. I have no idea with this one does, maybe the lower duct for the passenger side?

I checked the air intake for the sampling motor and sensor. It was full of lint. Tried to remove the drill and promptly broke 2 of the louvers. How do you get this off to clean it and clean up the sample motor? There has to be some clip or a trick of some sort.

I've yet to see anything that appears to divert the air to and from the enter ducts above the climate control. I am sure this is part of what is preventing heat. I've told my son to close the duct doors to reduce the cold air coming from there but that is purely a bandaid.

After looking at this thing, how does one more easily work on this unit? It almost appears like the whole plastic unit has to be removed to fix anything.

Sorry this is such a long post. I am trying to convey what i've done so far with information I have gathered.

Last edited by kwatt; 01-09-2012 at 01:24 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-10-2012, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a similar issue with my 99 S70 T-5 (Turbo)

And am interested to see what is suggested....thanks for asking.....