Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Control arms and tie rods

Old 03-21-2009, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Control arms and tie rods

WOW. I just had two new control arms and two new tie rods put on my car and WHAT A DIFFERENCE. It feels brand new again. The original ones had been replaces once with aftermarket (by the previous owner) and they failed rather quickly. Genuine volvo this time... we won't make that mistake again.

Just though i'd share that. also i replaced the sway bar link and that got rid of all my front end clunking.

amazing.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have ran into several problems installing aftermarket parts on a Volvo.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by s70_t5_1999
WOW. I just had two new control arms and two new tie rods put on my car and WHAT A DIFFERENCE. It feels brand new again. The original ones had been replaces once with aftermarket (by the previous owner) and they failed rather quickly. Genuine volvo this time... we won't make that mistake again.

Just though i'd share that. also i replaced the sway bar link and that got rid of all my front end clunking.

amazing.
I did the entire suspension, motor mounts, tie rods, sway links, control arms, wheel bearings, struts, strut springs mount, over the last two months.

I may pay the price (literally) but half the parts are Volvo, half FCP Groton aftermarket.

Right now it's very good. Next fall? Who knows. The control arms I know are Groton, big price difference and again I am not naive but man for a 155K car, I had to cut the cost down somewhere.

Footnote: The struts are Gabriel Ultras and they were too inexpensive to pass up. Mounts and strut springs are Volvo. So far very good shocks. Rears are Boge.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:21 AM

amazing.
I would almost guarantee that the rt. motor mount (pass side under crank) is shot or will be if never replaced. Mine was metal on metal. If that mount is shot, it will take out the other suspension parts pretty quickly, Volvo or not.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by FredMc
I did the entire suspension, motor mounts, tie rods, sway links, control arms, wheel bearings, struts, strut springs mount, over the last two months.

I may pay the price (literally) but half the parts are Volvo, half FCP Groton aftermarket.

Right now it's very good. Next fall? Who knows. The control arms I know are Groton, big price difference and again I am not naive but man for a 155K car, I had to cut the cost down somewhere.

Footnote: The struts are Gabriel Ultras and they were too inexpensive to pass up. Mounts and strut springs are Volvo. So far very good shocks. Rears are Boge.
How much did it cost you to replace all the parts and what were you able to do on your own.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by BRATHAMAN
How much did it cost you to replace all the parts and what were you able to do on your own.
720 labor included. not bad i guess since a lot was replaced. everything was done by an independent Volvo dealer, i'm not too good with mechanical stuff. i stick to the electronics

Last edited by s70_t5_1999; 03-25-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:59 PM

i recently replaced:
Left and Right Control Arms with Ball Joints
Left and Right Outer Tie Rod Ends
Left and Right Front Strut Assemblies
Left and Right Strut Mounts / w bearings
Left and Right Spring Seats
Left and Right Sway Bar Links
Left and Right Strut Dust Boots
Left and Right Strut Rubber Bumpers
Strut Mount Lock Nuts (six)
Strut Bolts (four)
Lock Nuts for above bolts (four)

all from FCP Groton. i have used their parts before and they are good quality. i am most pleased

Old 04-08-2009, 03:48 PM

I did everything you did but the strut boot covers.

Well If mine fail early because of aftermarket poor quality I will learn a lesson as will you.

It sure is tempting to buy the parts half off of Volvo parts.

If the car was newer ( I have 158 on it now), I would have went OEM, but I would not be unhappy to be replacing them again in a year or two. That means the car is still running the way I look at it.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:53 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default The actual arms or just the bushings...

amazing.
When you say you "installed new control arms and tie rods" did you actually have the arms and rods replaced or the bushings?

When you say "independant Volvo dealer" do you mean a Volvo dealer that sells new Volvo's or a mechanic shop that works on Volvo's?

Last edited by rspi; 04-09-2009 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Omission