Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Coolant problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant problem

Hey guys first off let me say what a great forum.

Well a few days ago vacuuming my car i left the mats to find coolant leaking threw my carpet. I was losing coolant the week before but didn't think nothing of it.

After a quick search I found that the heater core seem to be busted so instead if replacing it I just bypassed it (I live in florida no need for a heater)

That was yesterday but to my surprise I still seem to be losing coolant and I don't know why.

Any suggestions?

I don't think I have a blown head gasket as the car never over heats no white smoke or nothing.

If it helps this car has been setting in a garage for about 2 years and hasn't been flushed since. I'm pretty sure I have to flush the coolant system but looking for second opinions.

Also is their any side effects of a heating core bypass?

Thanks a million any suggestions are welcomed.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:26 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Well, top off the coolant once per day when the car is cold. If you still have to top it off in a week, start looking for the leak. Sometimes it takes a few top offs for this system to stabilize.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:17 AM

Update: Found a leak on the side of the radiator any ideas what could that mean I have no idea how I got a like on the side.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:16 PM
Question

Originally Posted by AllDayWin
Update: Found a leak on the side of the radiator any ideas what could that mean I have no idea how I got a like on the side.
I am hitting with similar issue. I see coolant leaking from the side of the radiator (i.e passenger side). I don't know what it is called, it looks like black color plastic attached to the side of the radiator from where I see the leak.

I checked the hoses, coolant reservoir, etc. and found NO leaks.
Thanks for your help.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Rb_newsletter@yahoo.com
I am hitting with similar issue. I see coolant leaking from the side of the radiator (i.e passenger side). I don't know what it is called, it looks like black color plastic attached to the side of the radiator from where I see the leak.

I checked the hoses, coolant reservoir, etc. and found NO leaks.
Thanks for your help.
To keep the forum updated:
There was a crack on the plastic portion of the radiator. I applied JB water weld and that kind of holding up. Once in a while I see a leak, but I do not see a run down of coolant.

Note: I also tried JB epoxy weld. It is not a good fit. It cracks again in a day.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:08 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

It's call a old bad radiator. You need to replace it ASAP before it leaks more and you loose enough coolant to blow your motor. Every day that you don't replace it you are playing engine roulette.