Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Dash gauge/ indicator light problems '98

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash gauge/ indicator light problems '98

Hi, I just got back in country mid Oct, and I am having some new Volvo problems and was looking for some direction please. 1998 S70, AT, NT, 156k miles, has been running good.

I had my A/C evaporator and heater core changed in early spring time, and everything has been fine since then. But while it was disassembled they replaced dash indicator rear lighting bulbs for me, but have had 0 problems with dash since. (6-7months now)

Last night I started my car and noticed the dash indicator lights stayed on, not all of them, but at least half of them, so I restart car, everything goes back to normal.

This morning I start my car, and the same inidcator lights are on again, and after restarting vehicle several times, they do not go away. So I drive anyways and here is all I can find for right now.

Fuel gauge, coolant gauge, speedo gauge, tach gauge, all non functioning.
The dash panel rear light works, and fully adjustable brightness still.

Indicator lights stuck on:
Low fuel BRAKE Low coolant (red light)
burned out light ! BRAKE ! Service light
windsheild wiper fluid low

**Headlight high beam indicator does function properly**

Also of major concern, the mileage odometer reset back to 1 mile, and the trip odometer reset to 0. (this indicates a possible SDRAM type problem to me, but not 100% on Volvo)

Of course I have done function tests and inspections, fuel should be half way full, parking brake is clear, coolant level is good, wiper fluid level is full and all lights are in good working order. Checked fuses, just hoping, but also knowing better it probably was futile. Any advice and direction wil be greatly appreciated. Thanks JJ

Old 11-01-2009, 08:08 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Check the fuse box/relay panel positive cable under the hood. The wires are known to get hot cause issues.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:42 AM

Hey thanks for the repy Tech, I did a brief visual inspection this morning of the positive cable at the power dist/relay box, including reseating of the positive cable. Did a positive cable reseat/cleaning on battery as well. Did an ohm test for the pos cable to battery, seemed ok to me.

Didn't really notice any charring or wire insulation swelling, smelled ok too. I did not totally remove the box though. Anything I missed u think?

I was checking date on battery, it might be time for a new one pretty soon, surface charge was a little on the low side, not major 12.6ish, (load drop was decent). but cranked right up and charges good. Is volvo's notorius for low battery cycles causing this possibly?

Thanks JJ

Old 11-02-2009, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Check and see how much it is charging at the battery and Alt. If there is more than about 3 or 4 tenths difference then the positive cable might need to be replaced.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:54 PM

Alright, I got it fixed. You ever heard, "dont forget the basics"? Well, I have and did forget, but I learned a valuble lesson though. Oh well, live and learn, right?

It was in fact the battery causing my grief, jeez. Well long story short, car sounded like it was barely gonna start the other morning, so I decided to go ahead and have it changed out, not even thinking for a second it was going to fix my problem, but it did. Have never seen a car dash assembly do this weird crap because of a shotty battery.

Well, anyways thanks for pointing me in the right direction tech, I do appreciate it!!

Old 11-05-2009, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Glad all is well!