Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Engine Oil cooler keeps leaking

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Oil cooler keeps leaking

hello everyone
i try the search function but i could not find my answer.well i recently got a volvo s70 1998 glt turbo. and i replaced the radiator twice because the engine oil cooler gets blown now 3 weeks ago i try another way to see if is the head gasket the culprit or in fact was the oil cooler. so i crack open the old radiator and took the transmission cooler from that radiator and connected externally on my engine oil cooler lines(by the way was a pita to get the lines to connect underneath the radiator) so now 3 weeks later no oil on the coolant is clean so is not the head gasket so is a relief. my question to anyone who can help what it could be causing too much high oil pressure to blow the coolers?ahh i forgot to mention that the cooler i install externally is leaking too.i it started 2 days ago,i try to look on the internet what can cause the high oil pressure but i cannot find anything. if anyone can point me in to the right direction to figure out what it could be.because im tired and dont want to buy another radiator and end up having the same problem again. thanks in advance.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:11 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I really don't understand what you are writing. How did you take an old radiator, intall it so the oil cooler lines was connected to it, then drive the car with 2 radiators installed...? Did you tie the old radiator to the bottom of the car and drive around with 2 radiators hooked up?

You can purchase a seperate oil cooler and install it, bypassing the OEM system. Did you install an OEM radiator?

When the oil cooler fails, does it loose oil out of the radiator? Does it mix coolant with the oil?

Old 01-07-2014, 10:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by draco35
hello everyone
i try the search function but i could not find my answer.well i recently got a volvo s70 1998 glt turbo. and i replaced the radiator twice because the engine oil cooler gets blown now 3 weeks ago i try another way to see if is the head gasket the culprit or in fact was the oil cooler. so i crack open the old radiator and took the transmission cooler from that radiator and connected externally on my engine oil cooler lines(by the way was a pita to get the lines to connect underneath the radiator) so now 3 weeks later no oil on the coolant is clean so is not the head gasket so is a relief. my question to anyone who can help what it could be causing too much high oil pressure to blow the coolers?ahh i forgot to mention that the cooler i install externally is leaking too.i it started 2 days ago,i try to look on the internet what can cause the high oil pressure but i cannot find anything. if anyone can point me in to the right direction to figure out what it could be.because im tired and dont want to buy another radiator and end up having the same problem again. thanks in advance.
Sounds like you've deduced (by mounting another oil cooler, separate from the one integrated with the radiator) that the oil getting into the coolant is coming from your integrated oil cooler eventually bursting because of too high a pressure. Do I have that right?

Well I wouldn't guess that's the problem until you verify that it is. Hook up an oil pressure gauge (should have access at the oil pressure switch port) and see what your running oil pressure actually is.

If it is too high, then my guess there's a problem with the oil pump? There is a pressure relief valve built into it. According to my haynes manual the oil pressure is supposed to be 43 psi.

But if it was too high, I would think every oil seal in your engine would be leaking like a sieve; they would hold a lot less pressure than your oil cooler tank in the radiator... unless.. How about a blockage on the oil cooler return line?

Last edited by gdog; 01-07-2014 at 10:51 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by gdog
Sounds like you've deduced (by mounting another oil cooler, separate from the one integrated with the radiator) that the oil getting into the coolant is coming from your integrated oil cooler eventually bursting because of too high a pressure. Do I have that right?

Well I wouldn't guess that's the problem until you verify that it is. Hook up an oil pressure gauge (should have access at the oil pressure switch port) and see what your running oil pressure actually is.

If it is too high, then my guess there's a problem with the oil pump? There is a pressure relief valve built into it. According to my haynes manual the oil pressure is supposed to be 43 psi.

But if it was too high, I would think every oil seal in your engine would be leaking like a sieve; they would hold a lot less pressure than your oil cooler tank in the radiator... unless.. How about a blockage on the oil cooler return line?

thanks yes you are right.
i will us a pressure gauge and try an engine oil flush and do another pressure reading to compare and report back here. ad i will check the return line too.thanks for your help.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by rspi
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I really don't understand what you are writing. How did you take an old radiator, intall it so the oil cooler lines was connected to it, then drive the car with 2 radiators installed...? Did you tie the old radiator to the bottom of the car and drive around with 2 radiators hooked up?

You can purchase a seperate oil cooler and install it, bypassing the OEM system. Did you install an OEM radiator?

When the oil cooler fails, does it loose oil out of the radiator? Does it mix coolant with the oil?

Volvo 850, S70 Post Purchase Things To Do - Auto Information Series - YouTube

thanks
what i did was i took the plastic tanks off the old radiator and unscrew the cooler from the plastic tank then route the oil lines to the bottom of the car and connect them to the cooler like it normally goes and using a the normal oem radiator. and the oil is only going into the coolant not coolant in oil. so i hope i can get this sort out soon because these radiators are a little pricey.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:02 AM

What????????????? What you wrote makes no sense at all.

1) Why would you take the plastic tanks off the radiator???? For half the cost of the radiator you can buy an external cooler and hook it up correctly. Then just cap the 2 radiator ports.

2) Judging by what you have written, it is not possible to get oil in the coolant from the radiator or coolers. You would have to be getting the oil in the coolant from the engine. Sounds like maybe you overheated the engine or blew the head gasket.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by kwatt

1) Why would you take the plastic tanks off the radiator???? For half the cost of the radiator you can buy an external cooler and hook it up correctly. Then just cap the 2 radiator ports.

2) Judging by what you have written, it is not possible to get oil in the coolant from the radiator or coolers. You would have to be getting the oil in the coolant from the engine. Sounds like maybe you overheated the engine or blew the head gasket.

1) i would like to keep it stock volvo design it that way for a reason.

2)with all the respect, maybe you are not that familiar with this model.
volvo 850 and s70 series are famous for blowing the engine oil coolers,do a search on google and you will see. and yes is possible to get oil in the coolant on these volvos because the oil pressure is higher than the coolant.
the reason i temporally connect the oil cooler externally was to find out if the head gasket was the problem or the cooler again.and end-up being the cooler.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kwatt
Hey, I figured out what he was talking about..

draco35: where are you in the world?

Old 01-11-2014, 08:40 AM

gdog, can you explain it? What I read is he removed the oil coolers from the radiators and then attached them somewhere else on the car and then put the radiator back in.

draco, sorry if I sounded disrespectful. It wasn't my intent.

Old 01-10-2024, 03:16 AM
Rab

Originally Posted by draco35
hello everyone
Hi what happened at the end?
I have a volvo xc60 2014 ,this is the 3rd time that I change the engine oil cooler in my car in 2 years, can someone help me why does the cooler keep blowing ? could it be a built pressure in the engine ?
your help will be appreciated.

Old 01-12-2024, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

are you referring to the oil cooler or transmission cooler? are the cooler themselves leaking or the lines to/from the cooler? have you been using Genuine Volvo parts or atter market? Have you ever measured your engine oil pressure? If you suspect your engine oil pressure is too high, I'd do an oil change to make sure you are using the correct weight of oil and an OEM oil filter for starters. Do you have any signs of contamination like foaming etc?