Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Engine stalls at low speeds..HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine stalls at low speeds..HELP

Car = base 99 S70

I put an engine in this car late last year and it ran flawlessly until today.

The owner called me telling me that it was stalling and the check engine light was on. So I told him to get to the nearest parts store and have them hook up the OBD II reader. They say bad crank sensor.

We repalced it, no check engine light at all. But the stalling is still there.

The idle speed is fine, acceleration is smooth, power is normal, etc...

But it will stall frequently at under 10 mph and 10% of the time at speed over 40 mph.

What do you think?

I'm thinking it is some kind of idle air control problem. It has good fuel pressure, injectors seem to be working, and it does have spark on all cylinders or it would have run very rough when it is running.

I seem to recall that the throttle body assembly has to be programmed to the car on this model. That would mean big bucks.

Used I can probably pickup the part for under $100 but if i can't just bolt up and go it's not worth a penny.

How do I test the existing TB?

VADIS does not seem to have this or I can't find it.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:14 PM

Im gla d i have 98 and not 99. Somebody here went to junk yard and picked up a 99 TB plugged it in and car ran fine so he could just got lucky. Im not sure how to test those. And will suck to pay to get it programmed if you have to. Well goodluck.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:04 PM

I did some reading on this forum and tried things others had success with. I got it running perfectly but it was still rush hour traffic time when I was done so I did not run it on the freeway incase it stalled again.

It works perfectly on the streets though.

I bought MAF cleaner spray (you should never use regular throttle body cleaner on the MAF) and sprayed the MAF, throttle body, IAC motor, and wiped down the oily junk in the TB.

But before that I swapped out the fuel pump relay for a used one I picked up at the junkyard for $5. Apparently the capacitors in the relay tend to fail and this causes the fuel pump to cut in and out. So, you will have perfect fuel pressure when you check it at idle but in real world driving conditions it will cause a stall and there is no way to check it unless you have a man with a gauge hooked up to the fuel rail sitting on the engine when you are driving the car to see the drop in pressure.

Anyway, after all of that spray it was a pain to start....maybe 8 cranks. It spit out smoke and idled very rough for 2 minutes while the spray was being burned.

After that it runs flawlessly (knock on wood).

The owner is thinking of selling it....maybe I will buy....dunno.
I'll post another thread about it and ask your opinions.