Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

ETS light on car drives fine

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ETS light on car drives fine

So the ets light just started to come on my 1999 volvo s70. I now know that there was a recall for my year car relating to this particular issue, but I missed it because I did not have the care at the time as I recently inherited the car from a relative. The thing is the car drives absolutely fine without issue, but this light is starting to bug me. What I will do is pull the car over, shut it down, wait, and then restart it. The light will go out, but it will just come on again later. I should mention that no other lights are on, i.e. check engine. My question is should I be worried? I read online that the dealer can do a software update at no charge and that can possibly fix the issue. Should I be worried about this light coming on? I am thinking the car is trying to tell me something, but I just don't know what.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:11 PM

do you mean the traction control system light? (Electronic Traction... Stability?)

if that's the case it just means your anti-lock brakes aren't so anti lock and be aware that slamming the breaks at speed can cause a slide. the break system is so important that it's designed so that if the system fails you just have normal break function not failed breaks. that's why your car is "driving fine" because 99.5 percent of the time it doesn't come into play.

i'm sure more knowledeable people can chime in here with advice, but I know mine has failed and it will be nearly what I paid for the car in the first place to get it fixed.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by shadowfist
do you mean the traction control system light? (Electronic Traction... Stability?)

if that's the case it just means your anti-lock brakes aren't so anti lock and be aware that slamming the breaks at speed can cause a slide. the break system is so important that it's designed so that if the system fails you just have normal break function not failed breaks. that's why your car is "driving fine" because 99.5 percent of the time it doesn't come into play.

i'm sure more knowledeable people can chime in here with advice, but I know mine has failed and it will be nearly what I paid for the car in the first place to get it fixed.
No it is the light for the electronic throttle system.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:30 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joseph Lanni
No it is the light for the electronic throttle system.

Can't be sure but you ETM (aka ETS) may be on its way out. They are known weakness on these cars. Xemodex makes a rebuilt better-than original unit. I've seen ARD has parts for them now too.

May need the dealer to read the ETS codes and go from there. If s/w update fixes it for awhile then you're good..

Old 03-20-2014, 10:12 AM

Well it came down to just replacing the etm. Just waiting for the part so the mechanic can put it in. It's gonna be sort of an expensive job mostly because the part costs so damn much. :-(

Old 03-20-2014, 08:03 PM

Well it came down to just replacing the etm. Just waiting for the part so the mechanic can put it in. It's gonna be sort of an expensive job mostly because the part costs so damn much. :-(

Where did you get "the part" from??

Old 03-20-2014, 08:33 PM

The mechanic is getting it. It is gonna cost the same price as if I ordered it from Xemodex which is $500 so I guess that is the ballpark price for an etm module for these cars.

Originally Posted by gdog
Where did you get "the part" from??

Old 03-20-2014, 11:08 PM

The mechanic is getting it. It is gonna cost the same price as if I ordered it from Xemodex which is $500 so I guess that is the ballpark price for an etm module for these cars.

Like I mentioned in post #4; ard has parts for them too. Little bit less expensive than whole module from xemodex but more labor so maybe it's a wash unless you DIY..

ETM Repair Kit

Old 03-26-2014, 10:10 AM

Instead of replacing the whole etm, I am gonna have volvo perform a software update on the module first. There is a also a headlight switch recall they are gonna fix as well. The software update which is campaign 155 was never performed on the unit on my car anyway so I figure its worth a shot. They are not gonna charge me anything either. Who knows the software update may fix my problem. We'll see. That's all they did is update the software anyway when they performed the original recall on the etms that were having issues.

Last edited by Joseph Lanni; 03-26-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:47 AM

Just an update. Took my car to volvo and they told me that the the etm was not communicating with the ecm and that the ecm was bad and that they would need to replace the ecm in order to get things working. The thing is is it would cost me $2300 in order for them to fix everything. They also said that if they tried to put in the new etm it could potentially fry the scm. Never heard of such a thing. I told them I would just come and pick up the car. I found a guy that said he could fix the problem for $500 at the most, but just the ets light would stay on. I don't care because I have been driving with the light on for two months anyway. I would think that if you put in an etm and it was not the right part it just would not do anything not fry the ecm. I just think volvo is just trying to cover their butts. Never taking my car to volvo ever again.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:16 AM

Just to give you an update on my symptoms rough idle loss of of acceleration, etc.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:47 PM

You could also consider finding a S70 that was in a wreck and buy the who thing and replace the parts then scrap the rest

Old 04-02-2014, 09:53 PM

Another update found a guy that reprogrammed the electronics in my car and got it running well again all for a price well below what volvo quoted me. Those volvo mechs are crooks if you ask me. I should take my car back to volvo and show them I got it running in good shape. They will probably wonder how I did it all without replacing a single part. Just a little or a lot of reprogramming knowledge is needed. Put it this way this guy will be my new go to mechanic. I know the throttle bodies on these cars can go easily, but they made not need to be replaced after all if the proper programming of the electronics is done. This was a job that no other mechanic would touch saying volvo would have to do the work because proper software programming was needed, but just letting you all know I found someone that bailed me out this time and now old betsie is back running fine again. Granted I had to pay the guy, but the price was worth getting my car back running again. Just one thing he told me is the ets light will stay on, but the car will run fine. Nothing some black electrical tape can't fix!

Old 10-23-2017, 06:00 AM
Default Ets lamp is falut on vacum sensor

Originally Posted by joseph lanni
another update found a guy that reprogrammed the electronics in my car and got it running well again all for a price well below what volvo quoted me. Those volvo mechs are crooks if you ask me. I should take my car back to volvo and show them i got it running in good shape. They will probably wonder how i did it all without replacing a single part. Just a little or a lot of reprogramming knowledge is needed. Put it this way this guy will be my new go to mechanic. I know the throttle bodies on these cars can go easily, but they made not need to be replaced after all if the proper programming of the electronics is done. This was a job that no other mechanic would touch saying volvo would have to do the work because proper software programming was needed, but just letting you all know i found someone that bailed me out this time and now old betsie is back running fine again. Granted i had to pay the guy, but the price was worth getting my car back running again. Just one thing he told me is the ets light will stay on, but the car will run fine. Nothing some black electrical tape can't fix!
ets lamp on dash board is falut brake pedal position sensor.maybe is only a bad conect maybe is a down a position sensor.stay on a vacum brake pump with conector