Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 XC90 T6 drives/Shift fine - BUT complete electrical failure inside

Old 06-13-2014, 04:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2005 XC90 T6 drives/Shift fine - BUT complete electrical failure inside

Man oh man... one thing after the next on this car. I just got done doing a DIY transmission rebuilt twice. Now today, all the electical inside is dead! It starts, drives and shift fine, but the following are DEAD:

1) DEAD: All instrument panel light, control, gauges.
2) DEAD: Radio, AC, mirror, chair setting memory, flashers, GPS
3) It had a check engine light on, but my OBD reader did not register any codes.
3) Good: starts, drives and shifts fine.
4) Tried: to disconnect the negative battery, but still same issues as above.

Is the CEM the main culprit I should double check again. I pulled it out roughly 6 months ago and looked pertty dry, no corrosion, so did not clean. Should I go ahead and clean CEM again to be sure?

What about any sunroof drain electrical stuff should I check? It did rain today after being dry for several weeks.

Any help would be appreciated.

Miki

I checked all fuses in front, no issues. What else am I missing?

Old 06-15-2014, 10:52 PM

Well I disconnected the battery and removed the CEM again and still looks bone dry. But went ahead and cleaned up some contact area. Re-installed and still same problem as noted above. I checked all the major fusses and all are fine.

What else could I do? Should I try to contact Xemodex.com to see if they can repair the CEM (assuming that is my issue)?

Old 06-15-2014, 10:57 PM

May not necessarily be the CEM but it does sound like something in the CAN network is has failed.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitly in need of DiCE to figure out whats going on...

Old 06-20-2014, 12:59 AM

Ok - found my issue. For the archives:

Thanks to Tony from xemodex.com, he stepped me through what I needed to troubleshoot, rather than simply telling me to "Send it (CEM) to us".

First off, he told me to jump the CAN High/Low lines on the ICM (infotainment control module). Jump together the two white lines (high - pins 5 & 6) and jump together the two green lines (low - pins 3 &4). I asked why would my radio take down the entire inside electrical system? He said, from his experience, he has seen the ICM send erratic signal back to CEM and it throws off all sorts of garabage to the entire the CEM system. So he said first to isolate the ICM by jumping the high/low lines to bypass as first step in troubleshooting. So I did, but still same issue.

Ok, then called him back and then he told me to try to jump the DIM now(display unit (speed/rpm, gas gauges...). So I removed the DIM from the dash and disconnected the one connector on the back of the DIM and jumped the two white lines together and jumped the two green lines together (good old paperclip). WOW - my whole inside just WOKE-UP. I was in joy! My radio works, heat, AC, GPS, windows, door locks, mirrors... - they all work!

Thank you Tony of xemodex.com. Damien360 above also made the right call as well! It was not the CEM, but the DIM.

Now I will send it in to get it repaired.