Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

fog light install -- stumped

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy fog light install -- stumped

When I got my 2000 S70 GLT SE, I was happy to learn it was pre-wired for fog lights. In my naivety, I ordered a set of lights from ebay, and excitedly awaited their arrival. My dad mentioned that when his toyota was prewired, that just meant the harnesses were in place, and he still had to add relays, switches, etc. So, I did some research (which I should have done first... stupid me).

So, I've learned that I need the front fog light switch, a replacement for the main headlight relay with one that has fog light support, a J relay, and a fog light "bridge" or "jumper" (#213). Apparently there is a volvo dealership in texas that sells these as a kit at a reasonable price. I wish I'd started there. Apparently the kit includes instructions. But, having already gotten the fog lights, I felt committed to this path of piecing things together. I ordered everything else from ebay. I've probably got just a little less than the cost of the kit tied up in it... or perhaps the same.

Today, I figured I'd get a head start on the installation, as all the pieces except the switch have arrived. Installing the huge replacement main headlight relay was trivial, so I tackled the interior relays. I found the relay block, and finally figured out that the J relay goes in the top left spot, with the J upside down.

However, the spot for the 213 jumper device has no plug or wiring in it. I've searched all under that dash, and not found anywhere it can be plugged in. My first fear was that perhaps things aren't wired for fog lights correctly after all. However, the yellow plug behind the blank where the switch goes exists, and the J relay hookup spot existed, and there are two wires where the fog lights go. I'm pretty sure the wiring at least is in place for most of it.

Is there something special about the 2000 that doesn't require that jumper/bridge item? Am I just being blind? I found the hole marked 213 and stuck my finger thru from the back side just to make sure it was truly empty.

Any assistance/advice would be appreciated.

jim

Old 11-21-2011, 09:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some hope...

I found (via the Automotive Repair Reference Center electronic database via my local library) a headlight wiring schematic that indicates that the 2000-2001 model has no need for the bridge/jumper. Instead of tying the white (from main headlight relay) and pink (energizes J relay) wires with the jumper, the white wire goes straight to the J relay.

I'm glad to have that mystery solved. Now if only the ebay seller hadn't sent me the rear foglight switch after having advertised it as the front fog light switch, perhaps I could make some more progress.

I should be able to tie the BRN/PNK wire to the BLK wire in the switch connector and turn on the ignition and headlights and test for voltage at the fog light connectors under the bumper to prove things are working in the mean time.

I still have the temporary tags on my car, and when the VA tags come in, I'll have to get it inspected in VA. VA requires that every light on the vehicle actually light up when it's supposed to, so I can't install the fog light assemblies until I have everything working right, or have passed the inspection already.

Hopefully tomorrow I can check the connectors.

Jim