Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Got a line on a 99' S70 AWD some questions from an 850 owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 04:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a line on a 99' S70 AWD some questions from an 850 owner

So my 94' T5 Sedan is getting a little "long in the tooth", I have a low mileage B5234T3 motor I was going to rebuild but have found that "a good deal" on ebay is really "you get what you pay for" LOL and it needs at least 2 new rods.

I have come across a 99' S70 Turbo AWD sedan with some issues like exploded radiator and won't start now. I can get it for under $1,500 (that is with towing to me). This car is in nice shape lowish miles and being cheap I can fix it while I'll still drive the 850 and then turn over the 850 and the car is basically a break even.

My questions are this.

1: I assume all AWD's are LPT 2.5 or 2.4 motors?

2: Info I have found indicated Compression Ratio is a tad higher than the HPT like 9:1 versus 8.5:1?

3: Assuming other basic mods to go with it can a 19T be used on the LPT motor? I have the turbo all rebuilt ready to go and now looks like I might not have an application.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:30 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd steer clear of 1999+ Volvo's. They have ETM ( Electronic Throttle Modules ) I.E. Electronic Throttle Bodies. Which have been known to go bad and were recalled. I would check if you have to get this car to see if it was replaced. Because Volvo wont do it anymore, they will clean it before they replace it. Replacement for them now is only if truly needed.

I have a 1999 S70 AWD it went at around 75,000 and was replaced. But it could go again at any time.

As for modding this car I wouldn't go hog wild. 16T, 3" turboback exhaust, Intake, Chip, and suspension mods is honestly what I would keep it at.

With a 19T your talking extensive supporting mods. Like for example a new intercooler, transmission cooler should be added, definetly full 3" mandrel bent turboback exhaust system, bigger injectors, intake, silicone turbo hoses and T-bolt clamps, silicone vacuum lines, Wideband 02 gauge, Boost gauge, ECU management (Biggest thing here.)

I would honestly find a 1998 S70 Turbo or T5. It has the regular drive by wire throttle body and just an all around better vehicle to mod.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by S70driver
I'd steer clear of 1999+ Volvo's. They have ETM ( Electronic Throttle Modules ) I.E. Electronic Throttle Bodies. Which have been known to go bad and were recalled. I would check if you have to get this car to see if it was replaced. Because Volvo wont do it anymore, they will clean it before they replace it. Replacement for them now is only if truly needed.

I have a 1999 S70 AWD it went at around 75,000 and was replaced. But it could go again at any time.

As for modding this car I wouldn't go hog wild. 16T, 3" turboback exhaust, Intake, Chip, and suspension mods is honestly what I would keep it at.

With a 19T your talking extensive supporting mods. Like for example a new intercooler, transmission cooler should be added, definetly full 3" mandrel bent turboback exhaust system, bigger injectors, intake, silicone turbo hoses and T-bolt clamps, silicone vacuum lines, Wideband 02 gauge, Boost gauge, ECU management (Biggest thing here.)

I would honestly find a 1998 S70 Turbo or T5. It has the regular drive by wire throttle body and just an all around better vehicle to mod.
S70 THANKS!!

I was looking through VADIS and hadn't looked at the intake system! Definately prefer my right foot to be connected to a cable not a computer and a wire!!!

I will bypass this car (unless I get a ridiculous deal and can "flip" the car quick for $$$)

So the 98's had 2.3HPT motors? Or is there a "happy medium" as far as a LPT with standard throttle body?

Ok, looked in VADIS and the 98' is the more traditional throttle body.

Like I said before, I really am just "looking" at replacing the 850 since it is showing its age and the AWD option is interesting. I wish they had AWD cars with the 2.3HPT engine it would make this process easier since I have the block torn down and was ready to start rebuilding it.

My reasons for looking at the S/V 70 are primarily looks, I like the color keyed door handles and bumpers along with the traditional "brick" styling.

As far as the AWD goes, I don't know much about it? It seems that most of the time there is 90+ percent torque to the front wheels only transfering to the rear when there is slip? Is this electronic or just a "differential" or "viscous coupling"?

Anyone have opinions on whether the AWD cars limitations (somewhat less "moddable" engine, smallish turbo, limited aftermarket etc) are worth the "winter driving" benefits?
or,
would a FWD T5 car be about the same "winterwise" with a set fo steel wheels and Blizzaks or some other "SNOW" tire?

The thing is I live in CT and work for a major helicopter manufacturer, I work 3rd shift and this will be my first winter (started in March). We are very busy (2 wars going on you know) and I work pretty much 7 days a week. Here in CT they rarely plow the roads during the hours that I drive to and from work. Rather than buy a V8 "land yacht" SUV I was interested in the AWD.

Opinions?

Old 10-11-2010, 08:29 AM

I am not the expert on the Volvo AWD systems, but I do know that they changed vendors and went to a Haldex designed system (from a Volvo designed system) in the early 2000s, because they weren't happy with their own system.

These systems act like FWD until there is slippage, whereupon the rear wheel drive engages as well. Haldex does AWD as their core business and I think the Volvo designed system simply wasn't very good in terms of smoothness, responsiveness, consistency of 4WD engagement/disengagement.

If you really want to drive on unplowed snow laden roads, I think the case for AWD is still good.... although there are still limits.

For tires, if you want *real* snow tires, I can highly recommend Nokian tires. They're made in Finland and the company has a large refrigerated test track for year round winter tire development. If you get some Hakkapeliitta 5 tires with the factory "bear claw" studs, you should be in good shape.

Don't get wide tires for snow tires, by the way. Wider tires will tend to float on top of the snow, while narrower tires will tend to cut through to the pavement.

See:
http://www.nokiantires.com/Nokian_Tyres_North_America

Old 10-15-2010, 09:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

98s are available in non- turbo "base" (Mild), LPT "GLT" (Medium) and HPT "T5" (Hot.) My car is a '98 GLT, and I love it, though I wish for even more power sometimes. You CAN put a bigger turbo on one, but a 19T is overkill- you'd have lots of lag without much extra boost. If you want to stick a bigger turbo on an LPT, go with a 15T or a 16T. But minor boost increases- say, 2-3 Lbs, will be handled okay by the stock turbo.

As for the ETM issues with the '99 and '00 S70s, yes, it's a big problem, and yes, it WILL happen at some point, however, since they're out of warranty now, the best thing to do with one that fails is to go with the XeMODex rebuild- it costs $550, you don't need to do any reprogramming, and they rebuild using a non- wearing sensor, so the problem is fixed for good. I will agree with most people on here that say '98 was the best year for the S70... but I won't rule out a 99 or 00, as the throttle body issue, while still pretty big, is considerably less onerous with the rebuild option. These have been out for a while now, they've got the bugs worked out of them (the rebuilds) and their existence, in my opinion, makes it okay to choose a '99 or '00, as long as you know you're going to have to spend $550 plus installation at some point to replace the throttle body.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Carrots
98s are available in non- turbo "base" (Mild), LPT "GLT" (Medium) and HPT "T5" (Hot.) My car is a '98 GLT, and I love it, though I wish for even more power sometimes. You CAN put a bigger turbo on one, but a 19T is overkill- you'd have lots of lag without much extra boost. If you want to stick a bigger turbo on an LPT, go with a 15T or a 16T. But minor boost increases- say, 2-3 Lbs, will be handled okay by the stock turbo.

As for the ETM issues with the '99 and '00 S70s, yes, it's a big problem, and yes, it WILL happen at some point, however, since they're out of warranty now, the best thing to do with one that fails is to go with the XeMODex rebuild- it costs $550, you don't need to do any reprogramming, and they rebuild using a non- wearing sensor, so the problem is fixed for good. I will agree with most people on here that say '98 was the best year for the S70... but I won't rule out a 99 or 00, as the throttle body issue, while still pretty big, is considerably less onerous with the rebuild option. These have been out for a while now, they've got the bugs worked out of them (the rebuilds) and their existence, in my opinion, makes it okay to choose a '99 or '00, as long as you know you're going to have to spend $550 plus installation at some point to replace the throttle body.
Thanks,

All in all I think I will stick it out and find a 98' T5, the 850 I have runs well just uses a LOT of oil and gas. Major blowby because I have completely redone the PCV system and still get a steady stream of pressure out of the crank case thru the dipstick. Compression was quite low and fuel economy is off about 3-4MPG from my sister in-laws identical car.

I have come across one a little further away from me than I would like but it is a 98' T5 sedan, with R interior, black on black, with 250K miles and a 5 speed. The miles is not an issue because as I said I have this motor I am rebuilding along with the 19T turbo.

Still not interested in having electronics between my foot and the throttle plate. (ALA TOYOTA) It took me a while to get used to an automatic and ABS! LOL!